American Jewish World Service has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Anne J. McCarthy, Senior Director and COO
Harris Rand Lusk
122 East 42nd Street, Suite 4605
New York, NY 10168
Please put “AJWS HR Manager” in the subject line of your e-mailed application.
American Jewish World Service (“AJWS”), a premier nonprofit international human rights organization is seeking an exceptional human resources professional to join its team as its next Human Resources Manager.
Inspired by the Jewish commitment to justice, American Jewish World Service (AJWS) works to realize human rights and end poverty in the developing world. AJWS advances the health and rights of women, girls and LGBT people; promotes recovery from conflict, disasters and oppression; and defends access to food, land and livelihoods. AJWS pursues lasting change by supporting grassroots and global human rights organizations in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean and by mobilizing supporters in the U.S. to advocate for global justice. Working together, the AJWS community strives to build a more just and equitable world.
AJWS’s Human Resources team contributes to realizing this purpose by fostering a work environment that inspires excellence. The team focuses its resources and efforts on the lifecycle quality of employee activities with ongoing attention to employee engagement, talent acquisition and retention, learning and development, performance management, employee relations, regulatory compliance, compensation, benefits, payroll and HR data management.
AJWS is seeking a skilled, smart, sophisticated, and supportive human resources professional to become its next Human Resources Manager (“HR Manager”). Reporting to the Director of Human Resources, the HR Manager will be joining a team of four (4) and is responsible for carrying out the full range of HR functions, including compensation and benefits, talent acquisition and retention, training and development, employee relations, performance management, policy development and implementation and regulatory compliance.
The HR Manager must be skilled at addressing issues in a calm and confident manner and be able to develop and implement solutions designed to strengthen work relationships, support organizational goals and meet regulatory requirements. The ideal candidate will have hands-on experience introducing new systems and practices into an organization and understand how to lead staff through change. The HR Manager must be an excellent presenter and communicator, both verbally and in writing, with the ability to be a thought partner as well as a roll-up-your-sleeves team player. They must also have the highest level of integrity as well as a sense of humor and ability to maintain calm under pressure.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
The HR Manager will:
- Be the HR Partner for the Communications, Development and Strategic Learning divisions, supporting them with all HR activities, including recruitment below Director level, performance management, professional development, onboarding and offboarding, and employee relations;
- Support the HR Director on key projects lead by the HR department, developing project plans and executing them with efficiency and a high level of collaboration;
- Implement Cornerstone, AJWS’s new performance management system, and develop a robust performance management process;
- Collaborate closely with the HR team and other staff to advance ongoing work around AJWS’s culture initiative;
- Manage the development and rollout of AJWS’s second Global Culture and Engagement Survey (launching late 2018);
- Develop and lead internal trainings for a diverse workforce with employees at all levels of the organization;
- Review existing policies and develop new ones to ensure AJWS maintains compliance for all of its US-based locations.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field;
- 5-7 years of experience within the Human Resources function;
- High EQ and an impeccable level of professionalism and confidentiality;
- Strong project management skills and the ability to take a project from conception to completion;
- Experience recruiting from entry level to director level positions and using innovative methods for sourcing talent;
- Previous experience implementing a performance management system;
- Proven expertise working on engagement and talent management initiatives to support organizational culture;
- Ability to communicate with individuals at all levels in the organization and with external business contacts in an articulate, professional manner;
- Ability to work independently, meet deadlines, and multi-task while maintaining quality standards;
- Thorough knowledge of HR compliance and US employment law;
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, consensus driven environment with multiple and varied assignments;
- Experience working in a national or global organization with 100+ employees and multiple locations;
- Knowledge of payroll, benefits, leave policies and other regulatory requirements pertaining to employment is preferred;
- Commitment to AJWS’s mission and core values.
For more information about the American Jewish World Service, please visit their website at www.ajws.org
People of color, lesbian, gay, bisexual, intersex, trans and gender non-conforming people, women, and differently abled people are encouraged to apply. We also encourage applications from people of diverse religious, spiritual and cultural backgrounds.
Authorization to work in the US is required.
AJWS is an equal opportunity employer and provides competitive salaries and benefits.