New Jersey Transit has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries and/or resume and salary requirements may be directed in confidence to:
Christopher Boylan, Director
Transportation & Infrastructure Practice
Harris Rand Lusk Executive Search
122 East 42 Street, Suite 3605
New York, NY 10168
Amtrak, the national rail operator, connects America in safer, greener and healthier ways. With 21,000 route miles in 46 states, the District of Columbia and three Canadian provinces, Amtrak operates more than 300 trains each day — at speeds up to 150 mph — to more than 500 destinations. Amtrak is the operator of choice for state-supported corridor services in 17 states and for four commuter rail agencies.
Amtrak is seeking an experienced, innovative and forward-thinking executive to serve as Deputy Chief Engineer, Electric Traction to lead and direct the design, construction, operation, maintenance, training, and compliance ensuring the continued safe and reliable operation of the electric traction facilities and operations.
Reporting to the Assistant Vice President, Engineering & Design, this position:
- Requires technical knowledge of traction power operations, contingency planning and emergency response to catenary, substation, signal power and transmission systems.
- Initiates and assists in the development of the infrastructure capital program budget.
- Plans and prepares the maintenance budget.
- Requires experience in project and inventory management, technical design, supervision, planning and scheduling, budget and finance, contracts management, field production methods, agency coordination, railroad maintenance, construction methods, operations and procedures.
- Has input in the negotiation of collective bargaining agreements
- Plans, schedules, estimates and manages the force account work for infrastructure capital projects.
- Coordinates with Maintenance for the plans and implementation of Engineering’s Safety Plan; supports and implements the employee technical training and developmental programs.
- Conducts scheduled inspections, and assists in the infrastructure audits.
- Complies with Engineering policy procedures, and standards.
- Assists in planning and forecasting RWP protection requirements.
- Plans and forecasts vehicle and equipment requirements for maintenance, production, and construction projects and programs.
- Manages the Load Dispatchers and Power Director Offices.
- Manages the SCADA systems for the electric traction facilities.
- Has input in the development of and adherence to job position descriptions, compensation levels, and promotion and discipline programs.
- Responds to and resolves infrastructure failures and unusual emergencies by supporting the DCE Maintenance.
- B.S. degree in Engineering or extensive railroad work experience including demonstrated supervisory experience and extensive maintenance, production and construction experience. Licensed Professional Engineer preferred.
- Proven leadership experience in operations, cost reduction, process improvement, asset utilization, program and organizational management and a demonstrated understanding of railroad operations.
- Experience in large capital program management.
- Extensive experience in project and inventory management; technical design supervision, planning and scheduling; budget and finance; contracts management; field production methods; agency coordination; railroad maintenance; construction methods; operations and procedures.
- Extensive experience managing large, diverse and geographically dispersed groups of individuals.
- Extensive experience showing strong interdepartmental leadership with the ability to identify problems and develop and implement solutions.
- Known in the industry as a Technical Expert in traction power operations.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, leadership, management, organizational, team-building, and analytical skills
- Demonstrated experience in managing complex programs in an operating environment.
- Strong commitment to safety philosophy and culture.
Position requires up to 50% travel and is located in Philadelphia, PA.
Amtrak is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive salary and benefits package.