ARF has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Debbie Farrell, Senior Director, Leadership & Development
Harris Rand Lusk
122 East 42nd Street, Suite 3605
New York, NY 10168
Please put the words “ARF DOD” in the subject line of your emailed application (resume and cover letter).
Background: The Animal Rescue Fund of the Hamptons (ARF) was established as a ‘no-kill’ shelter in 1974 by people concerned about the health and welfare of stray and abandoned animals on the East End of Long Island. Guided by the core values of compassion, integrity and dedication, ARF grew from a small-town shelter to a regional force and continues to rescue cats and dogs, providing quality care and offering sanctuary until loving, permanent homes can be found. ARF also provides services for the community including mobile adoptions, spay/ neuter services for unowned, community cats, behavior training for pets, and humane education for school children.
ARF’s revenue is approximately $4 million – of this, two-thirds comes from contributions and 5% from a significant investment fund. ARF raises additional funds through a number of signature events throughout the year, including their Bow Wow Meow Ball and Stroll to the Sea Dog Walk. A Thrift and Treasure Shop is also an integral part of fundraising efforts.
Located on a 22-acre site in Wainscott, a hamlet of East Hampton, ARF adopted out more than 1,300 animals in 2018. ARF recently changed its focus from the number of annual adoptions to length of stay and enrichment of the animals’ lives while at ARF awaiting adoption. This focus has already seen a significant increase in the adoption of animals who have lived at the shelter over six months. One reason for this change in strategy is that the ARF leadership realized the limits of its current physical space even with the care provided by its professional and caring staff and a team of dedicated volunteers.
Recognizing that ARF needs to build capacity, both financially and structurally, ARF has been in a quiet phase of a $15M capital campaign. The funds raised will go to building a training facility on the ARF campus that will double as temporary housing while the original kennels and catteries are renovated. To facilitate the success of the public phase of this campaign, ARF is looking to hire a Director of Development (DOD) to implement the vision of ARF’s ED/CEO and Board for a strategic case for support and a fundraising plan.
The Position: The Director of Development connects ARF’s community of adopters, donors, volunteers, and staff to its mission in meaningful ways throughout the year. ARF seeks a dynamic fundraiser with excellent relationship skills to act as a peer and thought-partner to the Executive Director/CEO (ED/CEO). The ED/CEO and the DOD will work together to create and pursue a multi-faceted fundraising strategy that includes campaign gifts and recognition, individual and major giving, foundations, corporations, planned giving, digital fundraising and event support. The DOD will also help to build out ARF’s development operations infrastructure to support demands for the organization’s growing philanthropy program and support the ED/CEO with his fundraising activities.
The ideal candidate will be adept at developing and implementing creative funding strategies, together with traditional fundraising techniques and approaches. The DOD will manage activities focused on identifying and engaging individual donors, event sponsorship and corporate support, including prospect research, cultivation and communication, solicitation, and recognition, as well as annual giving.
- With the ED/CEO, lead, develop and implement fundraising strategies to increase the breadth and depth of individual, foundation and corporate support
- Evaluate, revise, and manage strategies for successful events, annual giving, and planned giving
- Assist ED/CEO and Board members with cultivation of major gifts. Maintain and deepen donor relationships through regular communication, stewardship, and solicitation
- Grow and broaden major, private support as well as a pipeline of small and mid-level donors
- Enhance and manage digital visibility, social media and community awareness to significantly augment fundraising for maximum return and efficiency
- Assist development team and ED/CEO to professionalize and improve ARF’s fundraising infrastructure – data management, gift processing, office procedures and event management – to ensure the staff, systems, processes and activities meet ongoing development needs
- Oversee implementation of all annual fundraising events
- Manage and supervise a small staff including a Development Associate, and a Development Assistant for data management; work with consultants, contractors, and board members in a collaborative and effective manner
- Bachelor’s degree; minimum of five years fundraising experience
- Experience with and knowledge of traditional, new and emerging fundraising strategies and the capacity to identify and cultivate supporters and funders
- Skilled at all aspects of foundation and corporate fundraising, including research and writing corporate proposals
- Demonstrated success in working with a committed volunteer pool, as well as facilitating collaboration and cooperation among diverse groups
- Proven skills and success with digital fundraising
- Strong interpersonal skills and proven ability to form strategic relationships both internally and externally, including with a highly committed and active Board
- Ability to work collaboratively with staff, fostering collegiality and a positive work culture
- Creative and well-developed writing skills; articulate and persuasive verbal communicator with a high level of comfort speaking in public
- Flexible with ability to multitask as well as anticipate and solve problems as they arise
- Superior organizational skills with proven ability to focus, prioritize and implement
- Entrepreneurial, dedicated, and a self-starter
- Proficiency in Office suite, digital media platforms, and donor management software
- Commitment to the mission of the Animal Rescue Fund of the Hamptons, Inc.
- Must love dogs and cats!
For more information, visit: https://www.arfhamptons.org