Building Service 32BJ Benefit Funds
Director of Human Resources and Organizational Development
Building Service 32BJ Benefit Funds has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Jack Lusk, Managing Partner
Anne J. McCarthy, Senior Director
Harris Rand Lusk
122 East 42nd Street, Suite 4605
New York, NY 10168
Please put “32BJ HR Director” in the subject line of your e-mailed application.
Building Service 32BJ Benefit Funds, a premier support organization controlled by employer and union representatives to provide benefits to its members, is seeking an exceptional human resources and organizational development professional to join its senior leadership team as its next Director of Human Resources and Organizational Development.
SEIU Local 32BJ is the largest labor union representing property service workers in the United States, with over 145,000 members across 11 states. Its membership is made up of the men and women who provide services primarily at commercial and residential properties, including office cleaners, door people, window cleaners, maintenance workers, food service workers, and security officers, among others. Union contracts provide generous benefits to members including: health benefits, access to legal services, retirement benefits and job skills training, which are provided and managed by the Building Service 32 BJ Benefit Funds (32BJ Benefit Funds).
32BJ Benefit Funds is staffed by over 400 men and women who care about the membership and work to ensure that members’ needs are being met. The 32BJ Benefits Funds is a Taft-Hartley fund overseen by a board of trustees consisting of an equal number of union and employer representatives. The Human Resources division provides operational support to the organization, allowing 32BJ Benefit Funds to meet its goals effectively and further its mission of providing cost-effective high-quality services to members of SEIU Local 32BJ and their dependents. The Human Resources team is responsible for all HR functions, including compensation and benefits, talent acquisition and retention, training and development, employee relations, performance management, policy development and implementation, HR data management, and regulatory compliance.
Building Service 32BJ Benefit Funds is seeking a skilled, smart, sophisticated, and supportive human resources professional to become its next Director of Human Resources and Organizational Development (“Director”). Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director is a critical member of the senior leadership team and supports 32BJ Benefit Funds’ mission, values, and culture by ensuring strategic management of its human resources function. He or she provides guidance and professional expertise to Fund Directors, managers and staff on matters related to HR and organizational development.
The Director of Human Resources and Organizational Development will manage a team of people with diverse skills. Therefore, candidates must be adept leaders with an ability to develop colleagues aligned with organizational values of accountability and autonomy. Most importantly, this position plays a critical role in employee relations and is typically the relied upon to identify issues or concerns and bring them to resolution. The Director works closely with staff across the organization and is an active participant in institution-wide initiatives.
The Director will be a highly intelligent self-starter who has a shared commitment to 32BJ Benefit Funds’ mission and its organizational development goals. The Director should have substantial experience in managing human resources for large and complex organizations, preferably with exposure to a union environment. He or she will possess excellent speaking and writing skills and be able to communicate successfully and persuasively within the organization and with outside contacts, consultants, and legal counsel, when necessary. The successful candidate will be highly organized, diplomatic, possess sound judgment as well as honed interpersonal skills, and maintain a sense of humor under stress. The Director will also be very familiar with HR technology and systems.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide strategic direction and ensure the effective management of all aspects of human resources, including compensation and benefits, compliance with federal and state employment laws, talent management, training and development, performance management, recruitment, employee retention, and HR data management and reporting metrics
- Assess the organization’s human capital needs and oversee the refinement and implementation of organization-wide systems and structures
- Ensure that top quality, highly-motivated, and effective staff are recruited, retained, and developed
- Work closely with organizational leadership and managers to create a positive work environment and culture, and help facilitate the resolution of interpersonal issues
- Foster a trusting environment which espouses transparency, active listening and direct communication
- Collaborate closely with the Executive Director and senior management to ensure that all Human Resources initiatives are aligned with the strategic direction and goals of the organization
- Formulate, approve, and implement 32BJ Benefit Funds’ personnel policies in consultation with the HR team, legal counsel, and the Director of Finance
- Systematize employee training and development, performance management, risk management, conflict resolution and organizational development across the organization
- Build a positive culture based on the principle of emotional intelligence to ensure the organization has a deeply engaged employee population
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field; advanced degree preferred
- Minimum of 10 years of progressive experience in Human Resources
- Successful track record of driving organizational change and transformation through supervision of and collaboration with staff in a manner that is flexible and supportive, yet ensures accountability
- Excellent leadership and management skills, including the capacity to attract, develop, inspire, and retain staff
- Effective and persuasive communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal, with ability to appreciate various viewpoints, share relevant information in a timely manner, and maintain a high level of professionalism
- Demonstrated ability to work in a partnership with a strong leadership team and a committed staff with high standards and expections, and must exhibit sound judgment and a sense of balance to know when to move with the tide and when to push back
- Prior experience assessing organizational needs and developing and implementing policies, systems and processes
- Keen analytical and problem-solving skills that enable sound strategic decision making; resourcefulness in setting priorities and guiding investment in people and systems
- Knowledge of the laws and regulations, trends and best practices in the health insurance and health care delivery fields
- High level of emotional intelligence with a positive outlook and good sense of humor
- Strong professional judgment and ability to maintain confidentiality and build trust among staff at all levels
As an employee, you will enjoy:
- Employer paid medical plan for you and your eligible dependents
- Participation in employer sponsored pension plan – no contribution required from the employee.
- Immediate access to contribute to 401(k) plan – no vesting schedule and a 4% employer contribution from date of hire regardless of amount contributed by employee.
- Company will pay for continuing professional education courses for all professional licenses (e.g., SHRM)
- Free life insurance.
- Generous time-off program including 10 company sponsored holidays, 5 personal days, 20 vacation days for each full year of employment.
- Many other company sponsored programs.
For more information about Building Service 32BJ Benefit Funds, please visit their website at www.32bjfunds.org.
All positions at Building Service 32BJ Benefit Funds are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.