Building Service 32BJ Benefit Funds has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Jack Lusk, Managing Partner
Anne J. McCarthy, Senior Director
Harris Rand Lusk
122 East 42nd Street, Suite 4605
New York, NY 10168
Please put “32BJ Health Fund” in the subject line of your e-mailed application.
SEIU Local 32BJ is the largest labor union representing property service workers in the United States, with over 145,000 members across 11 states. Its membership is made up of the men and women who provide services primarily at commercial and residential properties, including office cleaners, door people, window cleaners, maintenance workers, food service workers, and security officers, among others. Union contracts provide generous benefits to members including: health benefits, access to legal services, retirement benefits and job skills training, which are provided and managed by the Building Service 32 BJ Benefit Funds (“Funds”).
The 32BJ Health Fund is the 32BJ Taft Hartley fund that provides health benefits for nearly 200,000 people. Through the Health Fund, union members and their dependents access affordable and high quality health benefits including: hospital and medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, short and long term disability, and life insurance. Most of the benefits are self-insured with an annual spend of nearly $1 billion and are provided through ASO arrangements with vendors such as Empire BlueCross BlueShield and CVS Caremark. The Fund also owns and operates an on-site dental clinic to provide dental services directly to members and their dependents.
Working closely with an engaged board of trustees, the Health Fund develops long-term strategies to keep the benefits affordable to the employers. The Health Fund has launched a number of innovative programs to achieve this goal including: a bundled payment arrangement for total joint replacement with Mt. Sinai, steering members to a network of Level 3 PCMH primary care providers, a pilot project that fully covers the Diabetes Prevention Program for prediabetic members, and ongoing health education programs.
The Health Fund also provides coverage and benefit recommendations to the North Health Fund, a separate benefit fund that provides coverage to nearly 8,000 covered lives.
At a time of significant change in health insurance and health delivery systems, the Director of the Health Fund plays a critical role in seeing that these benefits are continuously provided at the highest level of quality while containing costs. With the recent announcement that the current long time and highly respected Health Fund Director will be retiring, the 32BJ Benefit Funds is looking for an outstanding individual to become its next Director, Health Fund.
The 32BJ Benefit Funds is seeking a strategic, highly skilled, and energetic professional. The right candidate will have a proven track record of leadership in senior management positions for significant institutions involved in healthcare and healthcare policy, and/or health insurance.
Reporting directly to the Executive Director of the 32BJ Benefit Funds, and responsive to needs of the Board of Trustees and the senior management team, the DHF will oversee all activities related to the Health Fund: development and management of the health benefits; making best use of all financial resources available (primarily from employer contributions) while meeting the health needs of the Funds’ participants; directing the internal operations of the Health Fund; managing vendors who provide benefits to the Fund; understanding and analyzing health care trends; providing support to union delegates in communicating with members about the Health fund; provide counsel and advice to the senior management staff and the Board on all of these matters; and, implementing policies set by the Trustees.
The DHF will manage a team of people with diverse skills. DHF candidates must be adept leaders with an ability to develop colleagues aligned with organizational values of accountability and autonomy. In addition, he or she must be able to integrate smoothly into the Funds’ high performance culture. Further, the successful candidate will have strong interpersonal and collaborative skills, excellent written communication and verbal presentation skills, a hands-on management style, and the ability to address and solve problems or issues proactively. In addition, he or she should be diplomatic, of the highest integrity, and possess sound judgment.
The 32BJ Health fund is comprised four units that are managed by the Heath Fund’s Director and Deputy Director:
- Analytics – This unit conducts sophisticated and in-depth analyses of the Funds’ claims data to inform decision making and evaluate the Fund’s performance.
- Health Services – This unit ensures that members have a first class experience when using their benefits. A 5 person call center takes inbound calls from members who have questions about their benefits and conducts outbound calls to promote specific aspects of the benefits. Additional staff provide support on benefit eligibility, billing and other topics
- Vendor Management and Implementation – This unit ensures that newly contracted services are implemented smoothly and efficiently, and ensure that vendors provide all contractor services in an appropriate manner.
- Dental Center – This onsite clinic employees 70 FTEs and treats nearly 13,000 patients per year.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees the day to day management of Health Fund operations and the 32BJ Dental Center, and establishes and manages the budgets of each cost center within the 32BJ Health Fund
- Analyzes costs in each aspect of the Health Fund expenditures and trends in the health care industry on an ongoing basis.
- Establishes and maintains a Quality Assurance program.
- Works with the 32BJ Benefit Fund’s Compliance Department to ensure that the plans are administered in compliance with laws and regulations and the plan documents
- Reports to the Trustees of the 32BJ Health Fund and the North Health Fund
- In collaboration with the executive management team of the 32BJ Benefit Funds, the senior management of the Health Fund and outside consultants, establishes goals for Health Fund performance and recommends changes in benefit design or administration in order to make the best use the resources of the Health Fund to enhance the well-being of the Fund’s members and the financial stability of the Health Fund.
- Works with the Deputy Director of the Health Fund and other supervisory staff of the Health Fund to lead the recruitment, training and development, performance management and succession planning of staff in order to meet the long term goals of the Health Fund.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works with senior staff to support the development of new technology and processes to enhance the Benefit Funds’ operation.
- Works with the Union and the Benefit Funds’ Member Services Department to educate members about their health benefits.
- As needed, onboard new groups of members to the 32BJ Health Fund.
- Leadership and Capacity Building: a proven leader with senior level experience in a broad variety of areas with the ability to lead a diverse and dynamic set of team members on an individual and corporate level. This includes the ability to cultivate entrepreneurship and ownership while enforcing accountability, and maintaining high levels of work ethic and standards.
- Collaboration and Leadership: ability to collaborate successfully with internal and external constituencies, including the Executive Director and the executive management team of the 32BJ Benefit Funds, the senior management of the 32BJHealth Fund, the Compliance Department, trustees, lawyers, consultants, senior staff and others.
- Mentorship: ability to and interest in developing the leadership capacity of Health Fund staff.
- Problem Solver and Entrepreneurial: a creative thinker, especially with experience in developing innovative techniques that help meet the operational needs of the Health Fund.
- Strategic Visionary: the ability to fit the smaller pieces into the bigger picture, thinking strategically about future trends and consequences and incorporating them into the Funds’ larger plan.
- Excellent Communication Skills: demonstrated ability to communicate clearly, both written and verbal, while maintaining an acute discernment of audience.
- Bachelor of Arts degree required; advanced degree in a related field strongly preferred
- Minimum of 10 years related experience.
- Ability to coordinate the work of direct reports and the department as meet the goals of the Fund within tight timeframes.
- Well organized and able to simultaneously manage major projects
- Knowledge of the laws and regulations, trends and best practices in the health insurance and health care delivery fields
- Ability to apply technological tools, such as spreadsheet and database, to analyze trends and solve problems
- Experience in strategic planning and execution. Knowledge of vendor contracting and negotiations
- Ability to read, analyze, interpret and explain complex data.
- Ability to work independently, prioritizing workflow to meet critical deadlines and paying exceptionally close attention to detail.
As an employee, you will enjoy:
- Employer paid medical plan for you and your eligible dependents
- Participation in employer sponsored pension plan – no contribution required from the employee.
- Immediate access to contribute to 401(k) plan – no vesting schedule and a 4% employer contribution from date of hire regardless of amount contributed by employee.
- Company will pay for continuing professional education courses for all professional licenses (e.g., CPA)
- Free life insurance.
- Generous time-off program including 10 company sponsored holidays, 5 personal days, 20 vacation days for each full year of employment.
- Many other company sponsored programs.
For more information about Building Service 32BJ Benefit Funds, please visit their website at www.32bjfunds.org.
All positions at Building Service 32BJ Benefit Funds are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.