To apply, submit a resume and cover letter and salary requirements in confidence to Christopher Boylan, Harris Rand Lusk Executive Search at: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Conference of Minority Transportation Officials (COMTO), a truly unique member-driven and governed advocacy and professional organization based in the Washington, DC metro area, is the nation’s premier association for minority transportation professionals, veterans, people with disabilities and MWDBE businesses.
Founded in 1971, COMTO’s mission is to seek out, encourage and ensure opportunities for those individual members and groups, while providing them with leadership training, professional development guidance, scholarships, internship funding, advocacy, strategic partnership building, and networking opportunities.
COMTO also provides a forum for social-justice discussions critical to the health of Communities of Color; equal access and creative solutions for eliminating cultural and institutional barriers to jobs and opportunities; identifying factors that contribute to minority business success, and; increasing opportunities for minorities at the C-Suite and Board of Director levels.
With thirty-five (35) chapters throughout the U.S. and Canada, COMTO’s members include transportation related agencies, individuals, academic institutions, small & disadvantaged businesses, and industry non-profits. They represent every transportation mode from highway, bridge, subway, bus and rail transit systems, to port authorities and airports, as well as every level of the industry from executive management, engineering, and operations, to safety and maintenance disciplines.
The Conference is currently searching for a talented and visionary manager to serve as its next President & CEO to carry out COMTO’s core mission while enhancing its professional image and reach.
Taking policy direction from a very active and engaged Board of Directors, the President & CEO will be an excellent communicator and team player who is innovative, flexible, trustworthy and transparent in managing the organization’s day to day operations, finances and member services, and who fully understands his/her role vis a vis the Board and COMTO’s members.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Ten years of executive or senior management experience in a transportation agency, advocacy association and/or transportation-related nonprofit.
- Financial planning experience that includes a proven track record in fundraising and encompasses everything from budgeting, compliance and accountability, to identifying and acquiring federal grants and other funding sources.
- Visionary leadership and the ability to carry out policy direction from the Board of Directors, as well as a strategic mindset to achieve the goals of developing a new Strategic Plan.
- Exceptional communications and interpersonal skills that foster positive and collaborative relationships with the Board of Directors, Council of Presidents, staff, individual members and external stakeholders.
- Knowledge of and experience working with minority-owned businesses and DBE programs.
- Experience developing and nurturing positive relationships with elected officials at the federal, state and local levels, as well as with other strategic transportation industry partners to advance the COMTO mission.
- Collaborative workforce development experience focused on mentoring, developing, and supporting a high-performing staff team.
- Experience in increasing the image and awareness of the organization by utilizing emerging social media vehicles.
- A professional network that can be accessed for resources and support.
- Prior experience in association management helpful, but not required.
- A Bachelor’s degree in management, planning, public administration, or a related field.
For a more in-depth Job Description and detailed history of the COMTO organization and its mission, visit: COMTO-President-and-CEO-Position-Description
COMTO is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive salary and benefits package.