The organization has engaged the services of Harris Rand Lusk to assist in this search. All e-mailed application should be directed to Anne McCarthy, COO and Senior Director, at email@example.com. Please put the term “Confidential Administrative Search” in the subject line of your e-mailed application.
One of the oldest and largest nonprofits in the City addressing the needs of the underserved community is seeking to expand its leadership team. This nonprofit organization is held in high regard and has been effectively managed by its long-term executive team. As it continues to develop into the 21st Century, the organization is looking to plan for the future, and put in place a team that will provide consistency as the senior leadership team transforms. As such, the organization has identified a need for a new position entitled the Director of Administration, who will provide direction and oversight for the Human Resources, Facilities, Office Services and Information Technology functions.
Reporting directly to the Vice President for Finance and Administration/Chief Financial Officer, the Director of Administration (“DofA”) will be a key member of the senior leadership team. He or she will be a highly skilled, energetic, and experienced executive who has proven leadership in significant executive management positions, in the nonprofit, for-profit and/or public sectors. The DofA must be an exceptionally strong manager with leadership vision, a sense of entrepreneurship and superior operations skills to assist with the running of the organization.
The Director of Administration must have experience managing human resources, facilities, contracting, information technology, procurement and the other business functions supporting the administrative operations of an organization. He or she should be skilled at analyzing needs, developing appropriate strategies and teams to address organizational needs, and be an excellent project manager and implementer. This position is meant to manage all office operations besides finance, but will work closely with the finance team on budgeting, planning and management analytics.
The successful candidate must be capable of integrating seamlessly into the senior leadership team, be thoroughly committed to the organization’s mission and comfortable interacting with external business contacts from private industry, the non-profit sector and government as well as with Board level leadership. In addition, he or she must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills and a hands-on management style He or she will be highly intelligent and creative, diplomatic, analytical, of the highest integrity, and possess sound judgment and a sense of humor.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Establish a strong working partnership with the executive team and senior leadership staff built on a shared vision for future growth
- As a member of the senior leadership team will serve as a strategic partner in the organization’s overall executive planning and future growth strategy, and actively work in collaboration with the senior leadership team to contribute to the overall goals of the organization
- Provide leadership and overall direction to a team of senior managers and leadership responsible for the administrative operations of the organization
- Establish a vision for shaping and guiding the organization’s human resources strategy, facility management, technology resources, risk management strategy and office services functions to support the day to day operations and planned growth of the organization
- Provide support and serve as intermediary and facilitator to senior leadership staff across the organization’s major operating divisions to ensure that all administrative and infrastructure operations effectively support the business units/operations of the organization
- Establish effective management and performance systems and controls to ensure that the organization’s investment in its administrative and infrastructure support services are appropriate and consistent with the needs of the organization
Experience and Qualifications:
- An advanced degree from an accredited college or university with emphasis in Business or Public Administration, or another related area
- A well established and proven track record of at least 15 years of experience at the senior executive level overseeing the administrative and infrastructure operations/functions of a for-profit, non-profit and/ or government organization in one or more of the content areas highlighted above
- A proven track record of effectively working with businesses organizations and institutions on complex and large scale administrative, infrastructure projects
- Superior organization, project and budget management skills in large and diverse organizational settings
- Demonstrated ability to work in partnership at the Board level and with C-Level executives, business and community leaders
- An effective, articulate and persuasive communicator, both verbally and in writing
- Committed to the mission, purpose and values of the organization and its programs, with the desire to capitalize on and be part of the team that impacts the organization’s future
- Results-oriented, team player with high energy, and a skilled communicator with superior relationship building skills
- An experienced senior executive–collaborative and team-oriented, who can take charge, build consensus, motivate others and affect change; must impart credibility, trust, enthusiasm, integrity and ethics