Foundation for Puerto Rico has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Miriam Martinez, Senior Director
Harris Rand Lusk
122 E. 42nd Street, Suite 3605
New York, NY 10168
Email resume and cover letter describing your interest in the role to email@example.com
Please write “FPR” in the subject line of the email
Foundation for Puerto Rico (FPR) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit founded in 2011 with the mission of transforming Puerto Rico into a thriving destination for the world. FPR seeks to unleash Puerto Rico’s potential in the global economy, so more people can live, visit, work, and invest in the island. FPR is pursuing those economic development strategies that will most efficiently lead to the short and medium-term economic recovery of Puerto Rico. Our current focus is on helping communities across the island to align around these strategic initiatives so they can improve their lives, own their future and thrive. The foundation is funded by private donations from individuals and philanthropic organizations, and some programs are also funded by federal grants.
Position: The Development Director will manage the FPR fundraising capacity and operations to capitalize on the momentum generated by the foundation’s programs and activities. Reporting directly to the President and Executive Director, the Development Director will identify funding needs and targets, and design development strategies that lead to a sustainable and diversified funding stream. In addition, they will be the advocate of FPR’s mission to a variety of stakeholders, including business, social services, government and allied nonprofit communities.
- Work with executive team to identify funding needs and targets, and design development strategies that lead to a sustainable and diversified funding stream
- Create and implement a fundraising strategy inclusive of individual and major giving, foundations, corporations, and government entities that adapts to FPR’s expanding growth targets.
- Incorporate cash-reserve and endowment components into campaigns and regular fundraising efforts.
- Manage and improve FPR’s fundraising infrastructure and ensure the staff, systems, processes and activities meet ongoing development needs.
- Work with – and in some cases actively manage – team members who will be focused on researching funding sources and trends, preparing and writing grants, designing pitch and proposal collateral, and market and communicate FPR’s initiatives in a way that enhances the organization’s brand to our key donor segments.
- Present statistical analysis of fundraising successes to FPR leadership team at regular intervals.
- Review and approve all proposal materials before they’re submitted.
- Manage and update a prospect matrix and development plans for all donors.
- Develop and implement a stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with existing and prospective donors.
- Work with the finance team to generate reports and program evaluations for funders.
- Work with FPR’s team to leverage additional fundraising channels, such as Events, Campaigns, Planned Giving, Digital and Social Marketing, etc.
- Serve as a spokesperson on behalf of FPR’s mission, increasing the visibility and understanding of its work and impact
- Provide professional development support to direct reports i.e., the Events & Donors Relations Manager, Grant Writer & Designer
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis.
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual performance reviews, and administer salary adjustments.
- Minimum of 8 years of related experience and/or training of strategic fundraising experience at a major non-profit; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or related field required; MBA preferred
- Experience in development of structures and capabilities for the engagement of smaller donors including events, crowdsourcing and other initiatives required; Experience in implementing and managing a comprehensive fund development program, including fundraising strategy development and donor management
- Proven track record of achieving substantial revenue and fundraising targets
- Strong knowledge of the many types of fundraising strategies and revenue streams
- Strong business acumen with knowledge of and experience with financial management
- Strategic and innovative mindset; critical thinker who takes initiative and is results-driven
- Excellent project management skills that include problem solving and analysis, as well as efficiency and accuracy when multitasking
- Collaborative and a motivated team player, with a strong work ethic and high level of integrity and professional standards
- Outstanding interpersonal, communication & negotiation skills; skilled at networking and public speaking
- Management and mentorship experience
- Credibility based on past experiences and proven effectiveness
- Strategic planner with the ability to be and comfort as a champion of change
- Ability to travel as needed
- Must be fully bilingual in Spanish and English
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:30a.m. to 5:30p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.