The Foundation for Puerto Rico has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Debbie Farrell/Director of Leadership and Development
Harris Rand Lusk
122 East 42nd Street, Suite 3605
New York, NY 10168
Please include a cover letter and resume and put the words “Foundation for Puerto Rico” in the subject line of your e-mailed application.
Foundation for Puerto Rico (FPR) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization founded in 2011 with a mission of transforming Puerto Rico by harnessing the talent, creativity, tenacity, commitment and passion of Puerto Rico’s people to drive sustainable social and economic development. Today, when we are still recovering from Hurricane Maria, our mission is more critical than ever. FPR is pursuing those economic development strategies that will most efficiently lead to the short and medium-term economic recovery of Puerto Rico. We are working, through research and knowledge intermediation initiatives as well as direct program activity, to help build strong visitor economy in Puerto Rico by making our island a destination for the world. Our current focus is on helping communities across the island to align around these strategic initiatives so they can improve their lives, own their future and thrive.
Foundation for Puerto Rico’s fundraising efforts currently go to support both research and program initiatives anchored on expanding awareness, understanding, adoption, and promotion of the Visitor Economy. One of several such programs is the Bottom Up Destination Recovery Initiative, where we support communities and their small businesses in a variety of ways: 1) we help assess their infrastructural needs so they’re well equipped to recover quickly from future disasters; 2) we provide local small businesses with tools, resources, and funding to improve and grow their operations, technical prowess, and marketing; 3) we invest in social capital and capacity building efforts so communities can attract and better service more visitors; and 4) we assist them with the design of an inclusive destination plan that positions them to attract the type of small, medium, and large scale tourism activity and investment interest that will stimulate, sustain, and grow the local economy. In the coming years, and with the right level of financial support, we’re planning to scale and implement these programs throughout Puerto Rico.
In order to capitalize on the momentum generated by our programs and activities, FPR seeks a confident, seasoned, goal-oriented development and fundraising leader to increase the organization’s fundraising capacity and professionalize its fundraising operations. This individual should have a proven track record of achieving substantial revenue and fundraising targets. S/he will also have a wide-ranging knowledge of the many types of fundraising strategies and revenue streams applicable to the work of FPR, including raising major gifts from individual donors, corporations, foundations, and government grants as well as the development of structures and capabilities for the engagement of smaller donors including events, crowdsourcing and other initiatives.
The ideal candidate will have an entrepreneurial approach and will thrive in a fast-paced environment, simultaneously creating the development of a strategy and the execution of plans that will appeal to new donors in Puerto Rico, in the continental US and/or internationally. S/he will also maintain and nurture existing partnerships.
The DoD must be an articulate and passionate advocate of FPR’s mission to a variety of stakeholders, including business, social services, government and allied nonprofit communities. In addition, s/he must demonstrate significant accomplishments and past successes, be a hands-on manager and mentor, a strategic thinker, a team player, a planner and problem solver, and be able to respond to crises swiftly and effectively.
This role will report to the Vice President of Fundraising, Marketing, and Communications, and will also work collaboratively with the President, the CEO, and other members of the leadership team. S/he will also have a dedicated team of internal resources responsible for functions related to research, donor relationship management and events, grant writing, marketing collateral development, and communications. DoD will have an active management role with these resources, either through a direct reporting or dotted-line structure.
- Work with executive team to identify funding needs and targets, and design development strategies that lead to a sustainable and diversified funding stream.
- Create and implement a fundraising strategy inclusive of individual and major giving, foundations, corporations, and government entities that adapts to FPR’s expanding growth targets.
- Incorporate cash-reserve and endowment components into campaigns and regular fundraising efforts.
- Manage and improve FPR’s fundraising infrastructure and ensure the staff, systems, processes and activities meet ongoing development needs.
- Work with – and in some cases actively manage – team members who will be focused on researching funding sources and trends, preparing and writing grants, designing pitch and proposal collateral, and market and communicate FPR’s initiatives in a way that enhances the organization’s brand to our key donor segments.
- Review and approve all proposal materials before they’re submitted.
- Manage and update a prospect matrix and development plans for all donors.
- Develop and implement a stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with existing and prospective donors.
- Work with the finance team to generate reports and program evaluations for funders.
- Work with FPR’s team to leverage additional fundraising channels, such as Events, Campaigns, Planned Giving, Digital and Social Marketing, etc.
- Present statistical analysis of fundraising successes to FPR leadership team at regular intervals.
- Serve as a spokesperson on behalf of FPR’s mission, increasing the visibility and understanding of its work and impact.
- 8+ years of strategic fundraising experience at a major non-profit.
- A successful track record of personally identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding high net-worth individuals in a very fast-paced, mission-driven environment.
- Demonstrated experience in implementing and managing a comprehensive fund development program and infrastructure and preparing an annual development work plan and calendar to achieve goals.
- Proven success in conducting initial outreach to prospective foundations/donors, arranging for organizational leadership to meet with prospective donors/foundations and successfully preparing them for those meetings.
- Demonstrated ability and success in learning the details of an organization’s substantive work, serving as an articulate spokesperson on behalf of an organization, and applying that knowledge in drafting successful fundraising solicitations.
- Strategic and nuanced thinking; creative, innovative, and strategic inclinations to effectively engage new donor audiences.
- Superb fundraising judgment and outstanding interpersonal and communication skills.
- A strong work ethic, ability to maintain and model high personal, ethical, and professional standards, as well as an outgoing and positive personality.
- Ability to work independently without close oversight, yet also collaborate as a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside FPR.
- Strong management and mentorship experience of a small team of 2-5 members.
- High energy and passion for FPR’s mission.
- Ability to travel extensively to locations within the mainland US and Puerto Rico.
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree is preferred.
- Fully bilingual in English and Spanish is strongly preferred.
Salary will be commensurate with experience. Foundation for Puerto Rico is an equal opportunity employer. For more information about the Foundation, please visit their website at https://www.foundationforpuertorico.org/