JASA has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Jack Lusk, President & CEO
Anne McCarthy, Senior Director and Chief Operating Officer
Harris Rand Lusk
122 E. 42nd Street, Suite 3605
New York, NY 10168
Email cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Please include “JASA CAO” in the subject line of the email
The Jewish Association Serving the Aged (JASA), the premier nonprofit organization serving the needs of New York City’s elders, is seeing a dynamic, skilled and committed professional to join its leadership team as its next Chief Administrative Officer (CAO).
JASA, founded in 1968, is one of New York City’s largest agencies serving older adults with a mission to help seniors and disabled individuals remain at home and continue to participate in community life for as long as possible. JASA directly assists more than 43,000 New Yorkers with a wide range of social services, educational and recreational activities, supportive counseling, assistance with securing benefits and entitlements, health-related services, and transportation. JASA also provides home health aides, personal care assistance and nursing services; owns and manages subsidized housing for 2,300 low- to moderate-income and/or disabled adults; distributes over a million meals; and provides critical elder abuse prevention and adult protective services programs. JASA operates a $120+million budget that funds programs in Queens, Manhattan, Brooklyn, and the Bronx and is a well-established institution and key service-provider for the city’s older adult community.
The people who work at JASA are mission driven and focused on giving a voice to and addressing the needs of a population that historically is unable to speak for themselves. The Board and the CEO of JASA are ever mindful of providing the highest level of service in the most economical and efficient way, so that financial resources are utilized effectively across the organization. Helping JASA achieve these objectives is the Chief Administrative Officer, who serves a key role on the senior leadership team, both as the manager of the day-to-day business side as well as being a key advisor on strategy for achieving the organizational goals of the Board and the CEO. The CAO is called upon daily to address issues and concerns, develop appropriate processes and procedures to ensure best business practices, work with the program director in supporting program goals, and overall, serving the needs of the Board, the CEO, the senior leadership staff, and the program staff.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Chief Administrative Officer is responsible for all of the financial and administrative operations of JASA and oversees the Finance Department, Human Resources, Information Technology and Telecommunications, and Office Services/Purchasing as well as legal and insurance issues. The CAO is expected to develop long-term and short-term goals, including an operational calendar for all areas within his/her scope of responsibility.
The successful candidate must be capable of integrating smoothly into the senior management at JASA and fit into the organization’s culture. He or she must be able to work closely with the CEO, the Board, the senior leadership team, and program staff in a supportive and direct manner. The candidate must have strong interpersonal skills, excellent written and oral communication skills, a hands-on management style and the ability to address and solve problems or issues as they arise. In addition, he or she will be diplomatic, of the highest integrity, and possess sound judgment as well as a sense of humor.
- As a member of the senior leadership team, supervise the Director of Finance, Director of Human Resources, CIO, and Director of Procurement and Contracting.
- Oversee all financial operations of JASA and its affiliates.
- Develop strategic and annual plans to aid in JASA’s financial decision making.
- Direct production of all financial reporting, including cash flow forecasts, short-term fund management and capital expenditure analysis; monitor planned budgeting system.
- Establish systems and procedures of accountability for JASA and its affiliates.
- Supervise annual audits and oversee timely implementation of audit recommendations.
- Implement and direct staff to implement recommendations from Board committees.
- Work with attorneys on corporate legal, contractual and related matters, informing CEO and Board of exposure issues.
- Manage consultants engaged by JASA.
- Oversee selection of insurance policies covering JASA and its affiliates, directors and officers and staff and serve as liaison to risk management consultants, insurance brokers and carriers.
- Oversee all leasing and facilities matters outside of housing.
- Implement quality assurance protocols using incident reviews and data analysis to identify and correct problem areas.
- Direct development and maintenance of JASA’s Human Resources Policy and Procedure Manual as well as JASA’s Administrative Policies and Procedures.
- Advise CEO on agency-wide issues.
- Advise Board on financial and risk implications of agency performance.
- Occasional travel throughout metropolitan NY area, as required, as well as occasional evening and weekend work.
Critical Competencies for Success:
- Bachelor and Master’s degree in relevant field (e.g., MBA, MPA, MPH) required
- Minimum of ten years of progressively responsible experience in large, multifaceted public and/or non-profit institutions
- Proven track record of senior management with significant financial responsibility
- Knowledge and nuanced understanding of social, medical, economic, and legal issues affecting senior adults
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills with the ability to present JASA in a compelling and effective manner
- Ability to interact effectively with the senior management team, Board members, and program staff
- Creativity and flexibility
- Computer proficiency; knowledge of Office Suite
- Commitment to the mission and goals of JASA and a demonstrated commitment to public service
Compensation commensurate with experience. For more information about JASA, visit http://www.jasa.org/.