LISC has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Anne McCarthy, COO
Harris Rand Lusk
122 East 42nd Street, Suite 3605
New York, NY 10168
Please put “LISC Newark” in the subject line of your emailed application.
Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC) is a national nonprofit business that works with residents and partners to forge resilient and inclusive communities of opportunity across America – great places to live, work, visit, do business and raise families.
Strategies LISC Pursues:
- Equip talent in underinvested communities with the skills and credentials to compete successfully for quality income and wealth opportunities.
- Invest in businesses, housing and other community infrastructure to catalyze economic, health, safety and educational mobility for individuals and communities.
- Strengthen existing alliances while building new collaborations to increase our impact on the progress of people and places.
- Develop leadership and the capacity of partners to advance our work together
- Drive local, regional, and national policy and system changes that foster broadly shared prosperity and well-being.
Over the last 40 years, LISC and its affiliates have invested over $20 billion in businesses, affordable housing, health, educational mobility, community and recreational facilities, public safety, employment and other projects that help to revitalize and stabilize underinvested communities. Headquartered in New York City, LISC’s reach spans the country from East coast to West coast in 35 markets with offices extending from Buffalo to San Francisco
LISC seeks an experienced leader to be the Executive Director in Newark, NJ to provide direction and guidance for all aspects of LISC’s programs in the area. The Executive Director reports to the Program Vice President, Northeast, and is in close communication with other members of the LISC management team and its national programs and affiliates.
The position requires a strong commitment to the role of community-based non-profit organizations as agents of positive change as well as an understanding of, and appreciation for, other key public and private partners who can offer additional resources to the work of local community development. The ideal candidate will have the experience to develop and lead Greater Newark LISC’s investment strategies. The ED is responsible for raising capital and resources locally that are leveraged by National LISC’s support. They will also have demonstrated experience in shaping real estate projects and growing organizational capacity. The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate cultural competency working with diversified communities, and a strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in their work.
Program and Community Development
- Assist in engaging a wide variety of community partners to help bring holistic and integrated services to targeted neighborhoods with local governments, state agencies, other private and quasi-public financial institutions and intermediaries, advocacy groups, and community based organizations.
- Craft and implement strategies for expanding affordable housing, economic mobility and using LISC’s financial resources to catalyze a pipeline of affordable housing and other real estate projects and catalytic programs in Newark and NJ.
Public Policy and Advocacy
- Provide leadership on housing and community development policy issues in Newark and NJ.
- Advocate on behalf of LISC and the policy networks at the local, state and federal levels to secure the tools necessary to advance a comprehensive redevelopment strategy.
- Identify and cultivate leadership from key corporate, foundation and other prospective donor sectors who share an interest in community development.
- Work with the Local Advisory Committee to raise sufficient funds annually to finance Greater Newark LISC’s program activities and projects.
Leadership and Management
- Manage a staff and work with the Local Advisory Committee members to carry out LISC’s strategy and programs.
- Identify and cultivate leadership from key corporate, foundation and other prospective donor sectors who share an interest in community development and are interested in serving on the Local Advisory Committee.
Build and Maintain Positive Relationships with National LISC
- Participate in national LISC leadership structure and meetings.
- Bring visibility to local innovations and programs within the national LISC structure.
- Maximize the use of National LISC resources and expertise in Newark and throughout NJ.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, real estate or related fields. Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum ten (10) years senior level experience in community development, real estate, capital development and community revitalization.
- Experience in shaping affordable housing through development or lending.
- Demonstrated ability to attract and sustain philanthropic funding.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including experience speaking publicly in diverse forums.
- Demonstrated management experience, including staff development, financial management and office administration.
- Demonstrated track record in providing leadership for the development and implementation of strategic vision.
- Ability to establish priorities that align with a strategic plan and manage agendas and programs effectively.
- Knowledge, understanding of, and experience in community development strategies, including working knowledge of real estate related resource and capital development strategies utilized in real estate and community revitalization efforts.
- Experience building relationships, networking and collaborating effectively with ethnically/ culturally/ socio-economically diverse populations and community organizations.
- Knowledge of policy in Newark and NJ.
- Fluency using and understanding data to inform decision making.
LISC offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Some domestic travel is required.
LISC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER, COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, INCLUSION AND JUSTICE. For more information about LISC, please visit www.lisc.org