Lumos USA has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Debbie Farrell/Senior Director of Leadership and Development
Harris Rand Lusk
122 East 42th Street, Suite 3605
New York, NY 10168
Please include a cover letter, resume, and writing sample of no more than five pages, and put the words “Lumos Officer” in the subject line of your e-mailed application.
Lumos, an international NGO founded by J.K.Rowling, works to end the institutionalization of children by helping the 8 million children currently separated from family members regain their right to a family life. At least 80% of these children are not orphans but separated from their parents primarily by poverty and disability. Institutionalization deprives children of the engagement that a loving family provides, and puts them at risk of impaired physical, intellectual and emotional development. Lumos has developed a model of deinstitutionalization that supports countries to reform childcare and protection systems. By focusing on community-based services, Lumos ensures that children and families are provided with access to health, education and social care services that keep families together.
Understanding that international aid can be driver of reform, Lumos promotes deinstitutionalization at the international level by working with influential actors such as the UN, EU, US Government, and international financial institutions, among others. Lumos supports governments with its expertise and skills, ranging from interventions to save the lives of children facing premature death to improving complex financial mechanisms that ensure limited resources are used to achieve reform. Headquartered in London, Lumos has operated in 34 countries to date. Lumos’ US presence is new and growing.
Lumos USA seeks an Officer of Fund Development to support the Director of Fund Development. This is an excellent opportunity for a generalist to fill a critical role in a start-up operation poised for growth. The officer will be integral in supporting the overall objective of identifying and developing new fundraising opportunities throughout the United States. The position requires a flexible and inquisitive interest in all aspects of fundraising, and includes managing a portfolio of individuals and organizations, aiding senior staff and board members in prioritizing and engaging donors and prospects, and utilizing and optimizing the database and other technological tools to track relationships and outreach, as well as to conduct research. The ideal candidate will be a smart, quick learner who pays attention to detail and has excellent writing skills. S/he will have the opportunity to work closely with seasoned fundraisers who, as a team, will recognize and fill the enormous fundraising potential that Lumos has in the United States. The position offers the opportunity for broad learning, hands-on engagement with donors, and excellent career growth.
- Serve as a point of contact for a range of donors and prospects
- Manage a portfolio of donors
- Support the Director to meet Lumos Foundation USA’s goals by providing research and information on funders, including individuals, foundations, and companies
- Write donor correspondence and funding applications, and speak to donors individually and in groups
- Liaise closely with colleagues in Lumos’ London and New York offices to manage solicitations and stewardship
- Ensure that accurate, up-to-date records are kept on Lumos’ fundraising database and that fundraising systems are properly maintained
- Assist and support senior leaders and colleagues across the organization by drafting written materials and proof reading copy
- Provide ad hoc administration duties
- Track activity and maintain and provide reports on US fundraising progress against goals
- Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of 5 years of experience in relevant positions
- Knowledge and understanding of fundraising from foundations, corporations, and individuals
- Excellent numeracy with the ability to present program impact metrics to donors and portfolio goals internally
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and manage complex situations/workloads and deliver to tight deadlines
- Superb written and verbal communication skills, as well as the ability to interact with a broad range of people – both donors and colleagues – using tact and diplomacy
- Respect for confidentiality and ability to operate with discretion
- Enthusiastic and results-driven with a methodical and meticulous approach
- This role will require some travel – up to 30%.
- Fundraising database experience, preferably Salesforce; proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word and PowerPoint)
Salary is commensurate with experience. Lumos USA is an equal opportunity employer. For more information about Lumos, please visit the website at https://wearelumos.org/.