Manhattan Institute has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Jack Lusk, Principal
Harris Rand Lusk
122 E. 42nd Street, Suite 3605
New York, NY 10168
Email cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please write “Manhattan Institute” in the subject line of the email
Manhattan Institute is a NYC-based think tank whose work fosters economic choice and individual responsibility. Founded in 1977, the Manhattan Institute focuses on issues that include economic growth, education, energy & environment, health care, legal reform, public sector, race, and urban policy. With revenue of $20.3M (2018) and a staff of nearly 50, the Institute is seeking to add a seasoned fundraiser to become their new VP, Development and lead their fundraising efforts.
The VP, Development will join the Institute’s leadership and be responsible for restructuring the development program and team of five. They will be an accomplished fundraising leader and strategic thinker who will use their knowledge of best practices and strong management experience to build fundraising momentum as well as ensure that effective development operations are in place, including improving and updating an aging database. The VP will work closely with a well-networked board of directors and a charismatic President. This is a critical and highly visible position and requires someone capable of integrating smoothly into the management and organizational culture of the Institute. The right candidate will be a dedicated, intelligent self-starter with experience overseeing a range of successful fundraising methods.
- Provide vision and leadership for all aspects of Manhattan Institute’s fundraising program
- Develop and implement a comprehensive and sophisticated fundraising plan with a focus on identifying, prioritizing research on and cultivating relationships with new major donors while stewarding all donors with excellence.
- Integrate fundraising best practices across all levels of individual giving
- Working collaboratively with the rest of the leadership team, create strategies for success, set appropriate development goals and milestones, and implement benchmarking and progress measurement procedures.
- Modernize development operations and execute a best-practice Moves Management program that builds and manages the pipeline, supporting a streamlined and scalable development effort
- Conceptualize and develop a strategy that applies innovative fundraising tools to take advantage of growth opportunities.
- Manage an effective development office and its operational infrastructure by creating and executing development plans and budgets and implementing/overseeing systems and procedures
- Promote an organization-wide culture of philanthropy, including among the board and committee members, creating ways for everyone to become more comfortable in support of fundraising efforts.
- Work closely with the Institute’s President, positioning and supporting him for donor cultivation and major gift solicitations.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred
- Minimum 10 years professional fundraising experience
- Track record of success in developing and implementing scalable fundraising plans, cultivating donors, and soliciting individual major gifts, as well as foundation support
- Systems-oriented and data-driven leader with well-honed fundraising operations skills, including the ability to critically evaluate fundraising efforts
- Strong management skills and experience capable of inspiring purpose while managing teams and executing plans.
- Analytical, organized, proactive, detail-oriented with strong ability to prioritize
- Outstanding oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Background in marketing and branding, with the ability to raise brand awareness a plus