National Alliance on Mental Illness of New York City (NAMI-NYC)
Director of Marketing and Communications
NAMI-NYC has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Elly Kirschner, Senior Director
Harris Rand Lusk Executive Search
New York, NY 10016
When emailing your resume and cover letter describing your interest in the role, please write “NAMI-NYC in the subject line.
The National Alliance on Mental Illness of New York City, Inc. (NAMI-NYC) is a grassroots organization that helps families and individuals affected by mental illness build better lives through education, support, and advocacy. As one of the largest affiliates of the National Alliance on Mental Illness, NAMI-NYC works collaboratively with state and national affiliates, and with stakeholders in the community, to educate the public, increase awareness, advocate for legislation, reduce stigma, and improve the mental health care system.
With a budget of about $2.2 million, NAMI-NYC currently touches the lives of close to 30K people a year. At the onset of the Covid-19 crisis in NYC in March, NAMI-NYC went virtual in one day – and currently offers its full portfolio of programs and services remotely. The critical need for NAMI-NYC’s programs is evident – since July there has been a 200% increase in demand for services.
NAMI-NYC is a peer-based and -led organization, functioning on a train-the-trainer model. NAMI-NYC’s staff and volunteers understand the complexity of mental health issues as they have the lived experience of those dealing with mental illness and can impart what they have learned to those who seek out NAMI-NYC’s services. These include peer-led evidence-based education classes for individuals, family and friends, as well as support groups on a variety of topics e.g., suicide bereavement, criminal justice, and parenting children and young adults. Classes and support groups are available in English and Spanish. NAMI-NYC also offers stigma reducing education programs throughout NYC, and a robust advocacy initiative that empowers individuals to use their stories and voices to improve the mental health system.
NAMI-NYC’s impact in the community exceeds the size of its programming. With a strategic plan in place, NAMI-NYC is looking to double both its budget and the number of people served over the next three years. To facilitate this growth, NAMI-NYC is looking to round out the leadership team (consisting of the Executive Director, Associate Executive Director, Director of Development and Director of Events) by hiring a Director of Marketing and Communications who will oversee NAMI-NYC’s overarching communications strategy to increase visibility of the organization and its programs.
The Director of Marketing and Communications will be responsible for elevating the overall brand of NAMI-NYC and its growing portfolio of programs, events and accomplishments to a wide variety of external and internal audiences. The Director will be a thought partner to the Executive Director and Associate Executive Director, oversee the development of core marketing messages for the organization and ensure these messages are presented clearly and consistently through all external and internal communications including traditional media, social media, digital marketing and NAMI-NYC’s website.
Working closely with the leadership and staff of NAMI-NYC, the Director of Marketing and Communications will develop and implement clear and effective internal and external communications strategies and messaging as follows:
- Implement, manage and evaluate an organizational strategic communications and marketing plan that broadens and strengthens NAMI-NYC’s brand identity with key stakeholders, including staff and board, donors, community partners, volunteers and participants
- Work with senior staff to develop outreach and engagement strategies that will attract and retain new audiences and increase constituent engagement
- Manage and strengthen external communications with donors, corporations, government and other non-profits
- Research, recommend and manage implementation of thought leadership and visibility opportunities for NAMI-NYC leaders, including the Executive Director and board members, coordinating with the appropriate NAMI-NYC staff and leadership to prepare materials as needed
- Manage, direct and oversee all aspects of organizational communications and media relations to generate media coverage and advance the goals of individual projects
- Develop and implement internal communications strategies for staff and other NAMI-NYC representatives.
- Together with the Director of Events, evaluate and implement strategy to better leverage events and programs
- Work with the Director of Development to build corporate partnerships for cause-marketing opportunities
- Direct and oversee the editorial process and production of publications as well as website and social media content
- Direct the work and services provided by outside vendors, full and part-time writers, graphic designers and volunteers as relates to communications, public relations, design and branding
- Prepare an annual communications budget and ensure that budgeting supports the organization’s mission and strategic plan, as well as efficient and effective use of resources
- Oversee the creation and maintenance of data sheets, media reports/hits, and other items detailing NAMI-NYC mentions
- Mentor and manage staff who support the development and execution of communications strategies, as well as brand-related marketing
- Maintain knowledge of the NAMI-NYC’s mission, priorities, and positions in order to accurately and persuasively communicate these positions
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university
- Five to seven years of demonstrated success in professional communications or marketing role, including cause-marketing
- Excellent writing and verbal communications skills, plus a strong grasp of messaging, storytelling and branding
- Ability to advocate on behalf of NAMI-NYC and the communities it serves, as well as to promote the agency’s visibility
- Creative, strategic thinker with excellent project management and cross-functional communication skills
- Proven digital, social media and content management experience
- Effective networker and experience in strengthening relations with media
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, especially adept at developing and pitching persuasive presentations and creative promotional concepts
- Able to work effectively as part of a collegial and collaborative team
- Strong organizational skills with proven ability to focus, prioritize and implement
- Deep, personal commitment to the mission and vision of NAMI-NYC
- Highest levels of integrity and professionalism
- Proven ability to build networks and partnerships
- Sound judgment and a strong sense of social justice and activism
- Experience with and respect for culturally diverse stakeholders
- Must be a self-starter and independent worker with an entrepreneurial spirit and strategic growth mindset
This is a NYC-based role with a salary range of $100k – $110k. For more information on the National Alliance on Mental Illness of New York City, visit www.naminyc.org