The National Harm Reduction Coalition has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to
Elly Kirschner, Senior Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Over the past 25 years, the National Harm Reduction Coalition has emerged as the leader of a growing movement that aims to increase understanding and awareness of the structural violence, social inequities, and health disparities caused by the US drug war. In addition to continuing the work advancing harm reduction policies and practices across the United States, 2021 will be also be a year of leadership transition and inward-looking growth for NHRC.
The NHRC is looking for an Interim Managing Director of Programs (“Interim Director”) to provide daily strategic guidance and thought partnership during this time of organization-wide culture building. In addition, the Interim Director will work with NHRC senior leadership to build strategies that stabilize the organization’s financial resources, ensuring that new or renewed resources match long-term growth strategy. They will also play a significant role in making recommendations for the future direction and structure of the organization and will collaborate in business development efforts in order to both stabilize the organization and foster smart growth. All of this work will be done with integrity, making sure to reflect NHRC’s core organizational values.
Working closely with NHRC’s Executive team and Board of Directors, the Interim Director will guide the organization with a focus on leading strategy and oversight for all NHRC programs. They will supervise senior leadership within the Programs team. The Interim Director will also develop and commence implementation of a sustainable and effective team structure consistent with new organizational-wide strategy and facilitate/model steady and transparent communication with all staff.
The ideal candidate will have extensive supervisory and management experience with diverse teams, working at an executive level, ideally in a nonprofit and/or movement setting. These skills will include the ability to support peers in holding staff accountable, inspiring creativity and initiative, and fostering clear and constant communication. The Interim Director should be comfortable with the idea that change is constant, necessary, and full of opportunity.
Additional qualifications include:
- Comfort/experience serving in interim roles and proven experience working in and through conflict
- Experience with contract-based nonprofit work, while being able to cultivate ongoing conversation about strategy beyond discrete deliverables
- Business development acumen
- Exceptional communication skills with the ability to listen intently and provide clear and constructive feedback
- Advocacy, communications, and/or training/capacity building experience preferred
- Commitment to harm reduction principles; work experience in harm reduction and/or US drug policy a plus
- Strong, demonstrated commitment to racial equity on the macro-level; additionally, must have experience or at least strong actionable thoughts about how equity can be enacted within the organization’s operations as well as in community outreach through NHRC’s programs and communications.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
People with lived or ongoing experience with substance use, incarceration, homelessness, and/or sex work; people of color, women, and members of the LGBTQIA+ communities; people with disabilities, and people living with HIV/AIDS and/or hepatitis C are strongly encouraged to apply. The National Harm Reduction Coalition sees the experiences associated with these identities as assets in this role and within our organization.