New Jersey Transit has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries and/or resume and salary requirements may be directed in confidence to:
Christopher Boylan, Director, Transportation & Infrastructure Practice
Harris Rand Lusk Executive Search
122 East 42 Street, Suite 3605
New York, NY 10168
Please put “Chief of System Safety, NJT” in the subject.
The New Jersey Transit Corporation (NJ TRANSIT), the nation’s third largest provider of bus, rail and light rail transit, covers a service area of 5,325 square miles, linking major points in New Jersey, New York and Philadelphia. Its nearly 12,000 employees provide safe, reliable, convenient and cost-effective transit service, providing approximately 270 million passenger trips each year with a fleet of 2,221 buses, 1,231 commuter rail and 21 light rail vehicles on 252 bus routes and 12 rail lines.
NJ TRANSIT also administers several publicly-funded transit programs for people with disabilities, senior citizens, and people living in the state’s rural areas, and provides support and equipment to a number of contracted bus carriers.NJ TRANSIT is seeking an innovative and forward-thinking executive to serve as Chief of System Safety to oversee all aspects of the agency’s safety program and culture.
The Chief of System Safety reports directly to the Executive Director and is responsible for the safety of passengers, employees, locations and equipment on all NJ TRANSIT modes. S/he will help lead the agency’s Safety Cultural Transformation, develops safety policies and ensure their implementation across all NJ TRANSIT operations. S/he will monitor workplace activities to ensure that employees comply with NJ TRANSIT policies and government safety regulations.
S/he is responsible for all aspects of safety management and culture, including, but not limited to, planning, modeling, monitoring, investigation, inspection, risk assessment, audit, documentation, integration, prevention, and education across the agency.
Specifically, the Chief of System Safety:
- Directs the development, implementation, coordination, administration and monitoring of all aspects of system safety functions for NJ TRANSIT’s Bus, Rail, Light Rail and Access Link systems, ensuring compliance with regulatory, operational and/or contractual requirements.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable state and federal regulations and/or laws.
- Serves as NJ TRANSIT’s primary liaison and/or representative on safety issues to various state and federal agencies/commissions, including FRA, FTA, OSHA, NJDOT, USDOT.
- Directs the conduct of internal system safety audits, and audits of contractors’ activities on-site to verify compliance with FRA, FTA, SOA, applicable ISO and/or contractual requirements.
- Directs the performance and development of written safety and environmental surveys, assessments and reports.
- Coordinates, through senior line operations management, the oversight of environmental and safety activities for NJ TRANSIT’s operating systems.
- Coordinates, through senior line operations management, field safety inspections to verify conformance of field installations with specifications and design.
- Coordinates, through senior operations management, safety, accident investigations and reporting, including notification to/compliance with regulatory agencies and standards.
- Conducts regular system safety meetings with senior staff throughout NJ TRANSIT.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Occupational or Industrial Safety, Construction Management, or similar field of study. Master’s Degree preferred.
- Ten-plus years of progressively responsible broad-based management experience in overseeing a large scale public safety function, with increasing responsibilities for multi-faceted direction and planning.
- Excellent communication, leadership, management, organizational, team-building, analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of applicable Federal and State safety regulations and requirements, such as FRA, FTA, PEOSHA, ANSI, NFPA, USDOT, NJDOT is required.
- Proficiency in building relationships and working collaboratively with leaders, employees and other stakeholders to improve operational, performance and customer experience.
- Preferred are Safety Certifications such as the World Safety Organization (WSO-CSE, WSO-CSSD) National Safety Council (ASC), North American Transportation Management Institute (CDS), and/or Transportation Safety Institute (TSSP).
NJ TRANSIT is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive salary and benefits package.