New Jersey Transit has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries and/or resume and salary requirements may be directed in confidence to:
Christopher Boylan, Director
Transportation & Infrastructure Practice
Harris Rand Lusk Executive Search
122 East 42 Street, Suite 3605
New York, NY 10168
The New Jersey Transit Corporation (NJ TRANSIT), the nation’s third largest provider of bus, rail and light rail transit, covers a service area of 5,325 square miles, linking major points in New Jersey, New York and Philadelphia. Its nearly 12,000 employees provide safe, reliable, convenient and cost-effective transit service, providing approximately 270 million passenger trips each year with a fleet of 2,221 buses, 1,231 commuter rail and 21 light rail vehicles on 252 bus routes and 12 rail lines.
NJ TRANSIT also administers several publicly-funded transit programs for people with disabilities, senior citizens, and people living in the state’s rural areas, and provides support and equipment to contracted bus carriers.
NJ TRANSIT is seeking an experienced, innovative and forward-thinking executive to serve as Deputy General Manager, Infrastructure Engineering to direct the agency’s Rail Infrastructure Engineering Department. This key position is a direct report to the Senior Vice President and General Manger, Rail Operations and encompasses the following principal responsibilities:
- Responsible for the 24 hour/7 days a week operation of all aspects of Infrastructure Engineering for the Rail system, which requires daily interface and coordination with the Deputy General Managers of Equipment and Transportation.
- Responsible for the maintenance, construction, state of good repair and reliability for NJ TRANSIT Rail Operations infrastructure.
- Direct planning, design, estimating, construction and maintenance for all Rail Infrastructure Engineering disciplines, including assignment of line operations engineering responsibilities.
- Directs the analysis, development, dissemination, coordination, administration, communication and monitoring for compliance of all related policies and procedures relative to Rail Infrastructure Engineering.
- Direct the analysis and condition qualification of the Rail infrastructure; coordinates planning of capital and maintenance improvement projects with Capital Planning and Programs.
- Responsible for the analysis, preparation, development, implementation, control and monitoring of Rail Infrastructure Engineering operating and capital budgets.
- Provides technical expertise and direction as necessary when there is a major incident or failure to line operations.
- Review and approve design work performed by internal (i.e. Capital Planning & Programs) and external entities.
- Responsible for workforce development and career path implementation, to ensure a smooth and effective staff transition following the departure of more experienced employees.
- Ensuring that safety performance is a key priority throughout all levels of the Rail Infrastructure Engineering department by the utilization of safety briefings, meetings and work site and equipment inspections. Also responsible for ensuring the proper oversight and implementation of the Roadway Worker Protection program throughout the department.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Baccalaureate degree in Engineering discipline or equivalent; Professional Engineering license preferred.
- Ten (10) or more years of applied experience in the management of budgets, construction, operation and maintenance of railroad and rail facilities.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, leadership, management, organizational, team building, analytical and interpersonal skills.
NJ TRANSIT is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive salary and benefits package.