New Jersey Transit has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries and/or resume and salary requirements may be directed in confidence to:
Christopher Boylan, Director
Transportation & Infrastructure Practice
Harris Rand Lusk Executive Search
122 East 42 Street, Suite 3605
New York, NY 10168
The New Jersey Transit Corporation (NJ TRANSIT), the nation’s third largest provider of bus, rail and light rail transit, covers a service area of 5,325 square miles, linking major points in New Jersey, New York and Philadelphia. Its nearly 12,000 employees provide safe, reliable, convenient and cost-effective transit service, providing approximately 270 million passenger trips each year with a fleet of 2,221 buses, 1,231 commuter rail and 21 light rail vehicles on 252 bus routes and 12 rail lines. The rail network consists of 11 lines and 166 stations. Operations are divided into two divisions: Hoboken and Newark for an average weekday ridership of approximately 308,000 passenger trips.
NJ TRANSIT also administers several publicly-funded transit programs for people with disabilities, senior citizens, and people living in the state’s rural areas, and provides support and equipment to a number of contracted bus carriers.
NJ TRANSIT is seeking an experienced, innovative and forward-thinking executive to serve as Vice President/General Manager of Rail Operations who will lead approximately 4500 Agreement and Non-Agreement Rail employees assigned to one of the following major areas: Transportation, Equipment, Infrastructure Engineering, Operations, Labor Relations, and Finance to deliver rail service throughout the State of New Jersey and into the States of New York and Pennsylvania.
- Develops the vision, sets the direction and establishes goals and priorities to lead Rail Operations in order to achieve operational excellence for our customers, our employees, and the citizens of the State of New Jersey.
- Directs, through subordinate management, the planning, management, operation and monitoring of day-to-day activities to ensure that NJ TRANSIT Rail Operations operates and maintains safe, reliable, clean rail service in an effective and efficient manner throughout the State of New Jersey and into/out of the States of New York and Pennsylvania.
- Ensures the safety of our customers and employees and drives a culture of safety throughout the workplace.
- Collaborates with NJ TRANSIT’s Capital Programs Department to plan and prioritize improvements, repairs, and maintenance to Rail infrastructure. Causes the preparation of plans and specifications, cost estimates and contract documents for construction, maintenance and/or service contracts.
- Interfaces directly and communicates as frequently as needed to build partnerships with members of NJ TRANSIT’s Executive Management Team, peer transportation company executives, federal oversight agencies, unions, consultants and contractors, Federal, State, and local representatives, and others to share information, resolve problems, and set direction and priorities to ensure excellent service and customer satisfaction.
- Builds future talent within the organization so as to create a reservoir of talent for the current organization as well recognize future needs for talent based on changes in the industry.
- Keeps current with industry change, including changes to federal and state laws and regulations. Attends industry related functions and may also host industry-related functions from time to time.
- Manages, both directly and through subordinates, special projects such as Positive Train Control, and contract negotiations with labor unions, so as to meet critical deadlines and ensure public safety.
- Effectively manage the Department’s budget and head count to maximize efficiencies.
This Position Supervises: • DGM Transportation • DGM Labor Relations & Administration • DGM Equipment Sr. • Director Rail Finance • DGM Infrastructure • Engineering Sr. Director PTC Coordinator • DGM Operations • Chief of Staff, Rail.
- Minimum: Baccalaureate Degree in Engineering, Business Administration or related field; Ten (10) years of progressive management experience in all facets of rail operations.
- Preferred: Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Engineering or a related field preferred; Fifteen (15 years of progressive management experience in rail operations.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Strategic mindset with a demonstrated ability to collaborate with others, manage complexity, and drive results.
- Ability to make good and timely decisions.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from Board Members, customers, and members of the public.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, policies, and the like.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Use logic and reasoning to identify strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems. Ability to solve complex problems.
- Strong Knowledge of MS Office products.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Working Environment Rail Certifications not required but preferred.
- Drivers’ License required.
Working Environment and Physical Demands
Office, Shops, Rail Yards, Trains – Working around high voltage electricity in high risk areas may be required at times. Physical Demands – Generally sitting in office; some walking in Maintenance shops, rail yards and riding and walking on moving trains.
NJ TRANSIT is an equal opportunity employer, a Drug Free Workplace and offers a competitive salary and benefits package.