New Jersey Transit has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries and/or resume and salary requirements may be directed in confidence to:
Christopher Boylan, Director, Transportation & Infrastructure Practice
Harris Rand Lusk Executive Search
122 East 42 Street, Suite 3605
New York, NY 10168
The New Jersey Transit Corporation (NJ TRANSIT), the nation’s third largest provider of bus, rail and light rail transit, covers a service area of 5,325 square miles, linking major points in New Jersey, New York and Philadelphia.
Its nearly 12,000 employees provide safe, reliable, convenient and cost-effective transit service, providing approximately 270 million passenger trips each year with a fleet of 2,221 buses, 1,231 commuter rail and 21 light rail vehicles on 252 bus routes and 12 rail lines.
NJ TRANSIT also administers several publicly-funded transit programs for people with disabilities, senior citizens, and people living in the state’s rural areas, and provides support and equipment to a number of contracted bus carriers.
NJ TRANSIT is seeking an innovative and forward-thinking executive to serve as Chief Engineer for Design and Environmental Services (Chief Engineer) as the company advances an ambitious $2+ billion Capital Program.
Reporting to the head of Capital Planning and Programs (CP&P), the Chief Engineer will lead a team of over thirty employees in two units, Engineering and Architectural Design and Environmental Services. S/he will be responsible for the design of projects repairing and rehabilitating NJ TRANSIT facilities and infrastructure, and for the design of new infrastructure projects that will support NJ TRANSIT’s operating needs.
The Chief Engineer also establishes engineering and architectural standards and policies for NJ TRANSIT and serves as primary liaison to permitting authorities.
In addition, the Chief Engineer assists the head of the CP&P Department in accomplishing the broader goals and objectives of NJ TRANSIT, working closely with its Board of Directors, other executives, and senior level managers throughout the company.
Directs the design for construction, repair, renovation and/or rehabilitation of facilities and infrastructure system-wide, and establishes engineering and architectural standards and policies for NJ TRANSIT.
- Oversees project management from preliminary engineering through construction close-out, including development and monitoring of scope, schedule and budget; permitting and approvals; negotiations with external stakeholders, and; oversight by reporting to state and federal agencies.
- Directs the program development and implementation of NJ TRANSIT’s Environmental Services Unit, including management of wastewater, stormwater and air pollution permitting and regulatory compliance; spill response and pollution remediation; asbestos/lead abatement; waste disposal; storage tank permitting and compliance; historic resource management; state (E0215) and federal (NEPA) project permitting and approvals, and; due diligence for real estate transactions.
- Serves as Engineer-of-Record for environmental design work.
- Serves as the primary liaison with the NJ Department of Community Affairs for construction code review and permitting; annual life hazard use registration and inspections; and annual elevator/escalator registration and inspections.
- Directs the program of annual inspections and condition assessments of all passenger facilities; and environmental compliance audits at all operating facilities
- Reviews and approves designs from architectural/engineering consulting firms and commercial space tenants for compliance with codes and standards and other regulatory requirements.
- Directs the implementation of analyses, studies and projects to evaluate the NJ TRANSIT system and identify specific projects or programs for implementation or inclusion within the overall Capital Program.
- Directs the evaluation of specific projects and programs to identify appropriate strategies and prioritization for implementation.
- Collaborates with NJ TRANSIT Executive Management to assess projects and programs, including defining goals and objectives, establishment of implementation strategies and resolution of issues related to project scope and philosophy.
- Directs the development of systems and procedures required for the efficient operation of the department.
- Provides technical expertise to the NJ TRANSIT executive staff, CP&P Project Managers and operations personnel on issues relating to design, construction, materials engineering and environmental issues.
- Supports the quality assurance and control programs related to engineering and architectural activities.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering from an accredited college.
- Certification as a Professional Engineer and the ability to obtain New Jersey State registration within six months.
- Ten years of progressively responsible experience in the application of engineering management principles, such as design, engineering and construction of large scale capital projects, with a minimum of 2 of the 10 years in an executive-level position.
- Experience in a transportation/transit environment preferred.
NJ TRANSIT is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive salary and benefits package.