The NYCLU has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Jack Lusk, Founder and CEO or
Anne McCarthy, Senior Director and COO
Harris Rand Lusk
122 E. 42nd Street, Suite 3605
New York, NY 10168
Please put ”NYCLU-HR” in the subject line of your emailed application
The New York Civil Liberties Union, the best known and most highly regarded nonprofit organization defending constitutional freedoms and civil rights in New York, has a unique opportunity for someone with excellent skills, intelligence, commitment and passion to join the organization as its first full-time Senior Human Resources Officer.
The NYCLU is New York’s strongest voice for civil liberties and civil rights. Founded in 1951 as the New York affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, the NYCLU is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization with more than 80,000 members statewide. The NYCLU’s agenda is bold and wide ranging – including systemic reform in education and the criminal justice system, advancing racial justice and equality of opportunity; as well as ongoing initiatives that defend and uphold rights of speech and association, reproductive rights, immigrants’ rights, LGBTQ rights, and personal privacy.
The Senior HR Officer is a technical expert who, in conjunction with the HR Associate, develops, implements and advances the human resources policies, procedures and initiatives necessary to support NYCLU’s growing workforce (70+ across the State)and their increasingly complex needs. Reporting to the Chief of Staff, the HR Officer is a strategic partner in operationalizing the strategic plan, instiutionalizing best practices and upholding the organization’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. The Senior HR Officer and HR Associate are HR generalists who work collaboratively in carrying out the full range of HR functions, including compensation and benefits, talent acquisition and retention, training and development, employee relations, performance management, policy development and implementation, HR data management, affirmative action and regulatory compliance.
The Senior HR Officer must be skilled at addressing issues in a calm and confident manner and be able to develop and implement appropriate solutions designed to strengthen work relationships, support organizational goals and meet regulatory requirements. It is particularly important that this individual be someone who can build consensus around issues of diversity and inclusion and have experience implementing such practices into organizations. In addition, the Senior HR Officer must be an excellent communicator, both verbally and in writing, a roll-up-your-sleeves manager, have the highest integrity, and have a sense of humor and grace under pressure. Further, the ideal candidate will be a results-driven professional with at least 10 years of relevant experience. Familiarity with non-profit organizations, legal organizations, geographically dispersed organizations or fluency in a language other than English are desirable (but not required).
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide strategic direction and ensure the effective execution of all aspects of human resources management, including compensation and benefits, compliance with federal and state employment laws, talent management, training and development, performance management, recruitment, employee retention, and HR data management and reporting metrics
- Assess NYCLU’s human resource needs and oversee the refinement and implementation of organization-wide systems and structures to ensure the NYCLU continues to bean employer of choice
- Respond to staff needs and ensure effective staff are recruited, retained, and developed
- Work closely with organizational leadership and managers to maintain a positive work environment and culture, and help facilitate the resolution of interpersonal issues
- Foster a trusting environment which is characterized by transparency, active listening and direct communication
- Collaborate closely with the senior management team to ensure that all Human Resources initiatives are aligned with the strategic direction and goals of the organization
- Systematize employee training and development, performance management, risk management, conflict resolution and organizational development across NYCLU
- Build a positive culture based on the principle of emotional intelligence to ensure the NYCLU has a deeply engaged employee population
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field; advanced degree preferred
- Excellent HR generalist skills, including the capacity to attract, develop, inspire, and retain staff
- Experience implementing diversity, equity and inclusion programs and intiatives
- Knowledge of technology solutions to HR challenges as well as familiarity with the unique solutions and challenges that new technology brings to organizations will bring to the organization and understanding of how talent management will be affected by a technologically enhanced workplace
- Successful track record of driving organizational and culture change and transformation
- Experience communicating, partnering and collaborating with staff at all levels in a manner that is flexible, supportive and encourages accountability
- Effective and persuasive communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal, with ability to appreciate various viewpoints, share relevant information in a timely manner, and maintain a high level of professionalism
- Demonstrated ability to work in a partnership with and develop a strong leadership team and a committed staff with high standards and expections
- Prior experience assessing organizational needs and developing and implementing HR policies, systems and processes
- Keen analytical and problem-solving skills that enable sound strategic decision making; resourcefulness in setting priorities, sound judgment and a sense of balance
- Strong interpersonal and conflict resolutions skills along with emotional intelligence, a positive outlook and good sense of humor
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and build trust among staff at all levels
- Demonstrated commitment to NYCLU’s mission and core values
The NYCLU is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and encourages all applicants regardless of race, color, sex religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or any other protected characteristic. We are committed to having a workforce that reflects the diversity of the population that we serve at all levels within the organization. The NYCLU is proud to be an affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals.
NYCLU offers a competitive and generous benefits package. For more information on the NYCLU, please visit their website at www.nyclu.org