Planned Parenthood Federation of America
Senior Associate General Counsel, Privacy and Intellectual Property
The Planned Parenthood Federation of America has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Jack Lusk, CEO & Managing Partner
Anne McCarthy, Esq., COO
Harris Rand Lusk
260 Madison Avenue, 15th Floor
New York, NY 10016
Please e-mail your application to email@example.com and put “PPFA Assoc GC” in the subject line of your e-mailed application.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA), the renowned national organization protecting reproductive rights and promoting sexual health, is seeking a brilliant, highly skilled and experienced attorney with a passion for Planned Parenthood’s mission to join its team as a Senior Associate General Counsel, Privacy & Intellectual Property.
For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions. With affiliates all over the country, Planned Parenthood ensures that anyone who needs counselling, healthcare including pap smears and breast exams, treatment for sexually transmitted diseases, and contraception can have those services, regardless of insurance and ability to pay. Planned Parenthood serves everyone, regardless of gender and gender identify, race, ethnicity, religious affiliation, or sexual orientation.
The Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens and families. The Planned Parenthood Action Fund (Action Fund) is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA. The Office of the General Counsel serves both the PPFA and the Action Fund.
The Senior Associate General Counsel, Privacy & Intellectual Property, will be a senior member in the Office of General Counsel (OGC) and will provide advice and counsel to OGC’s internal clients, including PPFA’s senior leadership teams, on intellectual property and privacy matters for the organization. This Senior Associate General Counsel shall have extensive subject matter expertise in federal and state privacy laws, including the Heath Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), and knowledge of major domestic and international intellectual property laws. They will also draft, negotiate, interpret, and advise clients on agreements and contracts related to intellectual property and information security. The ideal candidate will have experience designing and implementing an organizational privacy compliance program.
The Senior Associate General Counsel will be joining a highly professional and engaged legal team who are passionate about the mission of PPFA. As a result, this role will be filled by someone who has exceptional experience and intelligence, has a strong work ethic, is committed to outstanding work, can work collaboratively and cooperatively with a minimum of ego, and is an excellent communicator. They will be extremely intelligent, a strategic thinker, able to execute plans and processes, and have a good sense of self with high emotional intelligence.
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) from an accredited law school.
- Must be admitted to practice and in good standing in New York or the District of Columbia.
- Six or more years as a practicing attorney in the areas of privacy law, intellectual property, and/or corporate and transactional law.
- Law firm and litigation experience a plus.
- Substantive expertise in federal and state privacy and intellectual property laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of international and domestic privacy laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of corporate and/or general non-for-profit corporate and governance matters.
- Knowledge of corporate transaction and contracting processes, including drafting, reviewing, revising, and negotiating complex agreements.
- Assessing, structuring, and mitigating the risks of programs, projects, and policy initiatives relating to information technology and information security.
- Experience with legal issues pertaining to electronic health records a plus.
Other personal qualities/attributes:
- Excellent judgment and proven experience analyzing risks and making risk determinations.
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to think strategically about both the creative and execution processes.
- Experience in positively and successfully managing relationships with a high energy, diverse group of stakeholders across organizational lines.
- Strong leadership, emotional intelligence, political savviness skills, and ability to interface with tact and diplomacy at all levels of the organization and across the Planned Parenthood Federation.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to both partner with and provide guidance to business partners, including executive and senior leadership members, as well as Board members, throughout the organization.
- A thoughtful, articulate, and effective communicator who can distill and articulate the important aspects of any legal or regulatory issue to a wide audience.
- Demonstrated ability to operate in a complex and matrixed professional environment.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Seasoned facilitator with strong presentation skills.
- Ability to provide sound business advice as well as reliable legal counsel.
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced, highly innovative, rapidly changing environment.
- Position location: New York City or Washington DC
- COVID: Please note that PPFA employees will continue to work remotely in a hybrid work environment until July 2022
- Some travel may be required
- Compensation Range: $145,000 – $200,000
Final offers for this job will be based on capabilities and will be made within the parameters of the PPFA compensation program. Total offer package to include generous vacation + sick leave + paid holidays, individual/family provided medical, dental and vision benefits effective day 1, life insurance, short/long term disability, paid family leave and 401k. PPFA also offers voluntary opt in for Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Transportation/Commuter accounts.
PPFA values a truly diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity and belonging. Its goal is to attract qualified candidates and encourage applications from all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. PPFA is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
For more information about the Planned Parenthood Federation of America, please visit their website at www.plannedparenthood.org