The Planned Parenthood Federation of America has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Jack Lusk, CEO & Managing Partner
Anne McCarthy, Esq., COO
Harris Rand Lusk
260 Madison Avenue, 15th Floor
New York, NY 10016
Please e-mail your application to email@example.com and put “PPFA DGC” in the subject line of your e-mailed application.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA), the renowned national organization protecting reproductive rights and promoting sexual health, is seeking a brilliant, highly skilled, and experienced attorney with a passion for Planned Parenthood’s mission to join its team as the Deputy General Counsel.
For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions. With affiliates all over the country, Planned Parenthood ensures that anyone who needs counselling; healthcare, including pap smears and breast exams: treatment for sexually transmitted diseases; and contraception can have those services, regardless of insurance and ability to pay. Planned Parenthood serves everyone, regardless of gender and gender identify, race, ethnicity, religious affiliation, or sexual orientation.
The Planned Parenthood Federation of America is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens, and families. The Planned Parenthood Action Fund, Inc. (Action Fund) is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA. The Office of the General Counsel serves both PPFA and Action Fund.
As a member of the Office of the General Counsel (OGC or Office) for PPFA and Action Fund, the Deputy General Counsel (Deputy GC) will support the General Counsel in all aspects of the Office’s work, services, and operations, including, generally, assisting in the provision of first-rate legal advice and services to PPFA leadership and staff, helping to manage the Office, acting in the General Counsel’s stead at important meetings and calls, and performing all work requested by the General Counsel.
The Office of the General Counsel represents PPFA and Action Fund in all legal matters, provides legal guidance to the CEO and the Boards of Directors, acts as a policy advisory on major projects, and has overall responsibility for compliance matters. OGC provides legal assistance and guidance on the governance processes of both PPFA and Action Fund. The Office also identifies, retains, and manages outside legal counsel. The Office protects the reputation, name, human, and financial resources, programs, and services. The Office proactively identifies and mitigates legal risk to protect PPFA and Action Fund from undue legal exposure, liability, and financial loss while facilitating achievement of strategic and operational objectives of Board and management.
The Deputy General Counsel will be joining a team of highly dedicated and exceptionally skilled attorneys who are committed to PPFA’s mission of protecting and promoting health and reproductive rights. As a result, the Deputy GC will need to be someone with superior legal training and experience, have gravitas, be able to manage and develop staff to bring out the best in their work, and be able to communicate effectively and consistently with staff to promote inclusivity. They will need to be an exceptional partner and advisor to the General Counsel, be able to execute plans and ideas, and be responsive to the GC’s, the senior executive team, and the Board’s needs. They must be highly intelligent, thoughtful, and analytical; be able to work smartly; have a good sense of self with great emotional intelligence; and have a sense of humor.
The Deputy GC’s responsibilities include:
- Assist the General Counsel in overseeing the OGC’s staff, services, and operations.
- Act as OGC’s principal attorney in managing, overseeing, and advising on OGC’s global program and operations; the Office’s contract administration division; OGC’s intellectual property and privacy work; and state registrations.
- Act in the General Counsel’s stead where appropriate and/or necessary, including directly servicing the President & CEO and other members of the executive leadership team.
- Assist in ensuring that PPFA and Action Fund conduct their businesses in compliance with applicable laws, including federal and state campaign finance laws, lobbying disclosure requirements, gift and ethics rules, and tax laws governing exempt organizations, including 501(c)(3), 501(c)(4), and 527 organizations.
- Assist in defining, developing, and updating corporate policies, procedures, and programs that are consistent with federal and state law.
- Assist in selecting, retaining, and managing outside counsel, as necessary to support the organization’s programmatic and operational needs.
- Other matters and duties as assigned by the General Counsel.
- Juris Doctor from an accredited U.S. law school.
- At least 15 years of practice as a lawyer.
- Admitted to practice law in New York State and/or D.C.
- Litigation experience a plus.
- Knowledge of not-for-profit law, employment law, and/or and intellectual property law a plus.
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to think strategically about both the creative and the execution processes.
- Demonstrable management experience.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Personal Qualities/Other Attributes:
- Committed to providing first-rate and timely legal advice and services to all clients.
- Ability to lead a team of legal and non-legal professionals, including the professional development of team members.
- Ability to provide sound business advice as well as reliable legal counsel.
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced, highly innovative, and rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to work collaboratively with program and operations teams.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
Position location: New York City (required)
COVID: Please note that PPFA employees will continue to work remotely in a hybrid work environment until July 2022
Some travel may be required
Compensation Range: $159,285-$271,215
Final offers for this job will be based on capabilities and will be made within the parameters of the PPFA compensation program. Total offer package to include generous vacation + sick leave + paid holidays, individual/family provided medical, dental and vision benefits effective day 1, life insurance, short/long term disability, paid family leave and 401k. PPFA also offers voluntary opt in for Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Transportation/Commuter accounts.
PPFA values a truly diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity and belonging. Its goal is to attract qualified candidates and encourage applications from all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. PPFA is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
For more information about the Planned Parenthood Federation of America, please visit their website at www.plannedparenthood.org