Planned Parenthood Hudson Peconic has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Anne McCarthy, Senior Director and COO
Harris Rand Lusk
122 East 42nd Street, Suite 3605
New York, NY 10168
E-Mail your resume to: email@example.com
(Please include “Planned Parenthood Hudson Peconic CFO” in the subject line)
Planned Parenthood Hudson Peconic, a well-known provider of healthcare and education services surrounding issues of reproductive health, is seeking a Chief Financial Officer.
For over 83 years, Planned Parenthood Hudson Peconic, Inc. (PPHP) has been providing vital and confidential health and education services to sexually active women and men who are seeking information, healthcare services, and guidance concerning reproductive health. With 10 health centers located in Westchester, Rockland and Suffolk counties, PPHP offers important health services and information to prevent unwanted pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases as well as provide cancer screenings and health counseling. In addition to health services and education, PPHP serves as a community advocate, and through the PPHP Action Fund, encourages the adoption of pro-health policies.
In 2015, PPHP helped over 34,000 patients, provided health and sex education information to 30,000 individuals, and fielded over 153,000 calls at its call center. The organization has grown its operating budget, which is approximately $19 million. With the recent departure of its long time CFO, PPHP now seeks a highly intelligent and skilled senior financial executive and strategic planner to serve as a member of the executive team in the capacity of Chief Financial Officer.
Planned Parenthood Hudson Peconic is looking to hire a senior financial executive who is results-driven, hands-on, and a strategic thinker to serve as its Chief Financial Officer (CFO). He or she operates independently in consultation with the President/CEO, and is responsible for the daily fiscal operations of the Affiliate as well as for the responsibility of staff and functions of the Finance, Information Technology, and Revenue Cycle departments.
This position has broad responsibilities for all long-range financial matters and to establish agency-wide financial and administrative objectives, policies, programs, and practices, which insures the agency of a continuously sound financial structure. The CFO serves as member of the agency’s strategic leadership team participating in the development and implementation of overall agency policy.
The successful candidate must be capable of integrating smoothly into the senior management at PPHP and fit well into the organization’s culture. The CFO will necessarily work with staff in other offices as well as with PPHP’s Board and staff in a supportive and direct manner. The successful candidate will have strong interpersonal skills, excellent written and oral communication skills, a hands-on management style and the ability to address and solve problems or issues as they arise. He/She should be a creative and highly entrepreneurial individual who functions effectively in both independent and collaborative situations. A strong desire to work in a fast-paced, collaborative office is critical as are a strong team work ethic, sound judgment sense of humor, and sense of diplomacy/politics. Commitment to mission is also very important.
- Acts in an advisory capacity to the President/CEO
- Oversees the development, implementation and on-going monitoring of financial goals and objectives for the organization.
- Provides timely and accurate financial and management reporting, along with analysis of budgets, financial and statistical reports and financial trends in order to assist the President/CEO and the Board and other senior executives and managers in making informed decisions and in performing their responsibilities.
- Responsible for all aspects of cash management.
- Represents the Agency in all financial dealings including but not limited to accounting firm performing agency annual audit, auditors from funding sources, vendors, bankers and investment bankers.
- Oversees the responsibilities and performance of services outsourced (such as Billing & Accounts Receivable Management and Credentialing)
- Supports the Board’s Budget and Finance Committee, Investment Advisory Committee and Audit and Compliance Committee to formulate financial policy and periodically review the financial status of the organization. Per the direction of the Investment Advisory Committee, oversees affiliate’s investment portfolio in connection with President/CEO and investment manager.
- With the Director,Revenue Cycle, oversee the affiliate’s revenue cycle function to ensure timely and compliant billing and cash collections.
- Works with management and staff across all divisions of the organization to ensure efficient and effective revenue cycle functions within the affiliate.
- Oversee agency’s insurance policies and makes recommendations to minimize the affiliate’s risk.
- Assures compliance with all reporting regulations of both governmental and private funding sources.
- Monitors and evaluates work performance and establishes goals for vice presidents, directors and managers reporting to this position.
- Provides leadership for the Finance, IT and Revenue Cycle teams.
- Provides direct supervision and programmatic support for the Vice President, Finance, Director, Information Technology, Director, Revenue Cycle, Inventory and Purchasing Manager, and Executive Assistant. Assists same in developing work plans and monitoring performance. As necessary, recommends candidates for these positions to the President/CEO.
- Advises, negotiates, manages and administers all contracts into which the Agency may enter.
- Oversees development and administration of all management information systems.
- Reviews and approves/signs all agency checks to vendors, as well as personnel paychecks as needed.
- Serves as a member of the Senior Management and Leadership Teams; assumes responsibility after-hours AIC, as scheduled.
- Responsible for placing and monitoring agency insurance needs.
- Oversees the preparation of all grant applications and reimbursement systems.
- As Division Head, reviews edits and approves all salary offers, staff performance evaluations, merit increases, PIPs, and other performance measures for Finance and IT.
- As Division Head, reviews and approves all requisitions for personnel, payroll authorizations, purchase orders, check requests, travel expense vouchers, and vacation carryover requests for assigned departments.
- Reviews and approves all time sheets (electronically or manually) and time off requests for direct reports.
- Assures that all leases and related materials are maintained in a central file. Monitors expiration dates and negotiates renewals with landlords. Works with attorneys as needed. Researches relocation sites, subletting and subdivisions when necessary.
- Provides leadership in all phases of facilities renovation, relocation and construction, including coordination of appropriate agency personnel, negotiations with outside parties (landlords, construction firms, building agents, etc.), and oversight of any related local permitting processes.
- Maintains active working relationships with the PPFA, ARMS, Afaxys, Family Planning Advocates of NYS, and with peers working in other affiliates, in order to efficiently keep PPHP current with ongoing business initiatives and industry trends.
- Accomplishes all tasks as appropriately assigned or requested.
- Represents PPHP and its policies to the community, speaking publicly as needed.
- Assumes additional responsibilities and performs other duties as delegated by the President/CEO.
- Regularly checks personal PPHP email account for important agency-related communications, at least every 24 hours.
- Assume responsibility as after-hours administrator in charge (AIC) for the entire affiliate.
Experience, Education and Licensure
- An experienced leader and senior financial executive with health care experience
- An energetic, transparent professional with high ethical standards and an appropriate professional image.
- A strategic visionary with sound technical skills, analytical ability, good judgment and strong operational focus.
- Master’s degree required (preferably MBA); 10 years healthcare financial management experience in not-for-profit agency or corporate setting. CPA recommended.
- Strong commitment to the mission, policies, goals and philosophy of Planned Parenthood.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to motivate and lead a diverse group of staff
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends
- Ability and willingness to travel to and visit Centers and agency and community meetings.
- All employees are required to demonstrate the importance of the ethical cultural awareness commitment of Planned Parenthood by:
- Demonstrating empathy; recognizing inherent worth, and treating individuals with respect
- Protecting confidentiality of staff and patients
- Appreciating the Planned Parenthood culture and its function in human behavior, and recognizing cultural strengths
- Seeking to understand patient’s cultures and value of diversity to be able to provide competent services.
- Builds and maintains positive, quality relationships with customers, both internal (colleagues) and external (patients, clients, donors, etc,)
- Demonstrates commitment to exceeding customer expectations at every opportunity
- Responds positively to customer concerns and demonstrates effective problem solving skills
- Consistently interacts positively with internal and external customers
- Always wear a PPHP identifying name tag when working
- Ability to use, read, analyze and learn software programs utilized in this agency.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret the most complex documents.
- Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints.
- Ability to make effective presentations at the appropriate level on all financial matters and strategies to the Board of Directors, senior management and staff.
Risk & Quality Management (RQM)
- Makes a commitment to participate in PPHP’s Risk and Quality initiatives
- Planned Parenthood has zero tolerance for non-compliance with our policies and procedure for addressing situations that endanger the welfare of minors, including our policies and procedures relating to state mandatory reporting laws.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear;
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 lbs.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Provides own transportation, is willing to travel, and is able to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Commitment to the goals of Planned Parenthood.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. The employee will also perform other reasonable related duties as assigned by the supervisor or management.
- Management reserves the right to change, assign or reassign job duties and hours as needs prevail. This document is for management communication only and not intended to imply a written or implied contract of employment.
Salary will be commensurate with experience.
For more information on Planned Parenthood Hudson Peconic, see: https://www.plannedparenthood.org/planned-parenthood-hudson-peconic