Search and Care has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Jack Lusk, Managing Partner or
Noelle Minter, Senior Search Associate
Harris Rand Lusk
260 Madison Avenue, 15th Floor
New York, NY 10016
Email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Please put “Search & Care ED” in the subject line of your emailed application.
Search and Care is a nonprofit organization that has been serving older adults in the Yorkville, Carnegie Hill and East Harlem communities since the early 1970s. Their mission is to seek out and engage with older adults in the community who need help in managing life’s daily activities or accessing essential social and health care services. The agency also provides them with the support and companionship they require to live with security and dignity in the manner they choose. Search and Care is built on the core principles of compassion and trust and offers a broad range of no-cost personalized services ranging from social work and financial counseling to home care assistance, mental and behavioral health support, cognitive enrichment programs, help with pet care, and escorts to medical appointments. Search and Care’s footprint has expanded and now includes Manhattan’s Upper West Side and West Harlem.
Search and Care’s long-time Executive Director and Board of Trustees have historically avoided government contracts because the terms of the contracts often are not a good match for the kind of personalized services that Search and Care delivers. As a result, the agency consistently raises 90% of their approximately $1.5 million budget through private donations and philanthropic grant funding. Search and Care is one of the only senior care agencies with this level of programmatic independence in New York City.
The Executive Director is the leader of Search and Care, and oversees the internal operations and administrative activities, financial management, program development and delivery, fundraising, marketing, and strategic planning activities of the organization. The Executive Director provides mission-based leadership for the agency’s civic engagement efforts and outreach services, and cultivates mutually beneficial partnerships with local agencies, organizations, and funders.
Working closely with the Board of Directors and agency staff, the Executive Director ensures that the core mission of Search and Care is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community outreach. The Executive Director will supervise agency resources to effectively maintain Search and Care’s reputation as a provider of high quality services, ensuring that all clients can age at home for as long as possible. To carry out these responsibilities successfully, the Executive Director must be an experienced, organized and energetic self-starter with a proven ability to foster the growth of an organization, a track record of significant accomplishments in the field of social services, and be a strategic thinker, planner and problem solver comfortable driving change.
The Executive Director will possess a hands-on, approachable management style, be able to work closely with the Board and effectively oversee and motivate staff in a manner that promotes inclusivity, commitment, cooperation and teamwork. Excellent interpersonal relationships, presentation skills, and negotiation experience are critical. Given the complex challenges of leading this organization, the successful candidate will also be a skilled, tactful and empathic communicator, demonstrate the highest integrity, and possess sound judgment.
Program and Operations
● Manage the teams responsible for the day-to-day operation of Search and Care including, but not limited to, the administration, operations and finance departments, clinical staff, consultants, and volunteers.
● Oversee the organization’s programs and services to accomplish the goals and objectives as set forth by the organization’s Board of Directors and supported by agency funders.
● Maintain Search and Care’s existing positive and productive organizational culture. Ensure that the organization and everyone who works with it are committed to delivering and sustaining the highest quality of service.
● Supervise, support and encourage staff to continue diligently promoting the agency’s mission by identifying and addressing the unmet needs of the older adults they serve.
● Collaborate with clinical staff to troubleshoot programmatic issues as they arise.
Board Governance, Mission and Strategy
● Collaborate with the Board to set and monitor benchmarks of progress towards a long-term strategic vision, and short-term goals consistent with the mission and philosophy of Search and Care.
● Ensure that the Board of Directors is kept fully informed on Search and Care’s mission effectiveness, as well as on all key factors influencing the organization’s long range sustainability.
● Enhance Search and Care’s image by raising awareness in the community, especially within the new catchment area. Develop and maintain mutually beneficial relationships and referral sources by working closely with other nonprofit housing groups, human service/social service agencies, faith-based organizations, elected officials, government entities, and other community stakeholders.
Financial Management and Administration
● Maintain strong financial oversight including the development of annual budgets, financial forecasts, and other routine financial reports. Oversee the annual financial audit process.
● Partner with the executive staff to mitigate risks, facilitate compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations, and ensure adherence to best practices for the management of programs, personnel and finances.
Fundraising and Development
● In close collaboration with the Board of Directors, create and implement a robust fundraising plan that will allow Search and Care to remain largely privately funded and independent.
● Identify opportunities to develop innovative and untapped fundraising sources and new relationships with prospective donors.
● Cultivate and seek out opportunities to further expand upon relationships with existing major funders – individual, foundation, and corporate.
● Report regularly to the Board of progress on all fundraising initiatives.
● Bachelor’s degree with educational background in a social services discipline; LCSW/LMSW or DSW degree preferred.
● Minimum of eight years of executive management experience leading a nonprofit agency of a similar size and complexity.
● Three or more years of clinical supervisory experience.
● Experience with and knowledge of the unique issues that affect homebound older adults, care management, and aging-in-place. Prior experience leading an agency that provides services for the aging or a similar vulnerable population is preferred.
● Solid understanding of financial management, including budget preparation, analysis and reporting.
● Excellent written and oral communication skills. Strong public speaker, good listener, good negotiation skills.
● Accomplished fundraiser with a proven track record of substantially increasing funding in a non-profit organization. Highly knowledgeable and flexible in balancing the demands of meeting funder priorities without compromising the delivery of high-quality services. ● Outstanding organizational skills, adept at planning, prioritizing multiple and varied responsibilities, delegating, implementation and facilitation.
● Strategic thinker; visionary, innovative and technologically savvy with interest in and capacity to grow and scale the organization.
● Solid understanding of and working relationships with the social service/human service providers in the organization’s catchment area.
● Diplomatic with strong interpersonal and leadership skills; confidence and ability to establish rapport and forge relationships not only with individuals who receive services from Search and Care, but also the larger community including funding executives, community based organization leadership, elected officials, and public agency administrators.
● Commitment to and understanding of Search and Care’s mission and the ability to convey a vision of their strategic future to staff, Board, volunteers and donors.
Salary will be commensurate with experience.
For more information about Search and Care, please visit https://www.searchandcare.org
All positions at Search and Care are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.