To Apply: SPCAI has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Jack Lusk, Managing Partner & CEO
Please put “SPCAI” in the subject line of your emailed application (resume and cover letter describing your interest in the role).
Background: SPCA International was founded in 2006 in the United States with a simple, yet vast mission: to advance the safety and well-being of animals. SPCAI’s Shelter Support Fund strives to assist the growth and impact of independent shelters through alliance building, information networking, national and international programs. Operation Baghdad Pups: Worldwide rescues and reunites animals with their adoptive service. SPCA International also delivers humane education programs and veterinary supplies to countries that critically need them. In 2019, $760,000 was granted to shelters in 35 countries to support their life-saving work; 555 pets were relocated with their military families; and $8M in veterinary supplies was provided to countries around the world.
SPCAI, with a budget of $20M, has a small but committed Board and staff that has worked closely together to create meaningful growth in the past several years. SPCAI is now seeking to identify a leader to become its next Executive Director to build on these past successes and continue to raise the profile of SPCA International.
Position: Based in New York City and reporting to the Board of Directors, SPCAI’s ED will oversee the administration, programs and funding of the organization. They will work closely with the Board to help develop and execute a strategic plan to ensure continued focus on global animal welfare issues. The ED must be able to articulate a vision, present it to the Board and build consensus around organizational goals and objectives.
SPCAI is looking for a dynamic and credible leader who has the skill set to move the organization forward. A significant part of the role will be building, cultivating and maintaining partnerships and relationships – the ED must be capable of making the connection with influencers and funders who will support SPCAI. They must be a skilled fundraiser, able to develop and implement creative, as well as traditional, funding strategies, techniques and approaches. In addition, the ED will be a passionate advocate for SPCAIs programs and services while expanding the profile and reach of SPCAI.
The ED must be a self-starter with the proven ability to foster the growth of an organization. The CEO, if not already knowledgeable, should have a willingness to learn about issues surrounding animal welfare, both domestically and internationally.
- Together with the Board, provide leadership for SPCAI by cultivating a clear and sustainable vision, mission and strategy for the organization
- Engage Board in meaningful participation that will ensure development and implementation of short- and long- range goals and objectives for SPCAI’s overall programmatic, financial and operational systems, processes and practices
- Cultivate a strong working relationship with the board with timely and regular communication regarding the status of SPCAI, including proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements
Finances and Operations
- Maintain financial oversight including annual budgets and quarterly financial reports; set long- and short-term financial objectives
- Direct the operations of the organization, including recruitment, hiring, and development of staff, as well as administrative policies and procedures
- Manage and ensure the efficiency of the day-to-day workings of SPCAI
- Working with the Program Director, lead the design and implementation of SPCAI’s programs and services
- Stay current on trends related to the organization’s services and anticipate future trends likely to have an impact on its work
- Evaluate the success of the organization’s program efforts; refine current and develop new programs to best meet the needs of those served by SPCAI
- Build relationships and collaborate with peer organizations, when appropriate, to carry out the mission and programs of SPCAI
- Manage an effective advocacy program to promote SPCAI’s visibility and serve as a spokesperson who can effectively convey the mission of SPCAI
Marketing/Communications & Fundraising
- Oversee the establishment and implementation of strategic communications that provide a clear and concise message about SPCAI, protects the brand and builds awareness about the organization across all constituencies
- Oversee all marketing and public relations activities, including the development of content and design of SPCAI’s website, and social media
- Work with the Development Director to create and pursue a strong fundraising plan
- Serve as chief relationship builder and lead major gifts fundraiser while supporting cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship with all current and new donors
- Bachelor’s degree; at least five years of executive-level or relevant management experience
- High level thinking and planning, able to convey the organization’s strategic future to the staff, board, volunteers, and donors.
- Ability to provide transparent, visionary and credible leadership and advocacy for SPCAI to ensure its continued excellence and provision of programs/services
- Capable of managing and working collaboratively with and maximizing contributions of staff and volunteers
- Entrepreneurial and innovative builder who has had success growing an organization
- Accomplished fundraiser at ease with and proven success in the role of seeking and asking for individual and major gifts
- Demonstrated ability and success maintaining a financially stable and sustainable organization including budget preparation, analysis, decision making and reporting.
- Solid experience working with and supporting a board of directors
- Comfortable with and capable of driving meaningful change
- Exceptional oral and written communications abilities, including persuasive presentation skills for diverse audiences
- Strong organizational skills with proven ability to focus, prioritize and implement
- Deep, personal commitment to the mission and vision of SPCAI
- Highest levels of integrity and professionalism
Salary will be commensurate with experience. For more information on SPCAI, please visit https://www.spcai.org