The Forward has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Debbie Farrell, Senior Director of Leadership and Development
Harris Rand Lusk
122 East 42nd Street, Suite 3605
New York, NY 10168
Please put “The Forward” in the subject line of your emailed application.
The Forward is a national media organization that produces award-winning, fearless news and cultural coverage. Founded in 1897, The Forward has won its loyal audience through hard-hitting investigative reporting and strong editorial stances on stories that matter to American Jews. While The Forward was founded as a Yiddish-language daily, the paper continues to innovate, working at the forefront of modern news media, and expanding its digital offerings. The Forward is a key player in the national media and is committed to both the Yiddish-language and its archive. The Forward’s deep roots, excellent cultural coverage and critical news reporting makes this an exciting opportunity for the right candidate.
The Director of Development will partner with the CEO to substantially grow The Forward’s 1.9 million dollar fundraising. A successful candidate must be an outstanding individual who is ideally committed to the historical preservation of the Jewish experience as well as modern day technology and has superior fundraising, communications, and writing skills. He or she will also be responsible for managing development operations, motivating a results-oriented team, creating strong morale, sharing wins and successes, and fostering open dialogue.
A successful candidate must be highly strategic, and have excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills, a hands-on management style, and the flexibility to respond to and solve problems in a timely manner and address issues as they arise.
To achieve the aims described above, The Director of Development is responsible for carrying out the following duties and responsibilities:
- Oversee the staff, systems and processes that meet the needs for ongoing development efforts.
- Work with CEO to identify funds needed, preferred funding targets, and approaches, and design the appropriate development strategies.
- Formally capture development plans for implementation in an executable revenue source plan that includes objectives, prospects, expenses, adjustments to systems, timelines and schedules.
- Develop systems that build the donor base of individuals, foundations and corporations; facilitate research, prospecting, and application to multiple donor sources; ensure long-term donor engagement and retention; and support the successful completion of annual campaigns.
- Increase the visibility and understanding of the work and mission of The Forward on a national level.
- Direct all fundraising and development activities including: special events, foundation and corporate asks, individual giving, and grant writing.
- Develop new fundraising events and, where appropriate, work with donor volunteers on local hosted events and special initiatives.
- Hire, train, oversee, and mentor staff and consultants. Communicate fundraising goals and progress throughout.
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 5 years of experience in the development field in positions with increasing management responsibility.
- Knowledge of the Jewish cultural arena and journalism.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Experience managing and leading a professional and dedicated development team.
- Solid track record of fundraising among major donors, foundations, corporations, and sponsors.
- Bright and diplomatic attitude while working with the highest level of personal integrity.