The NHP Foundation has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Anne McCarthy, Senior Director and Chief Operating Officer
Harris Rand Lusk
122 E. 42nd Street, Suite 3605
New York, NY 10168
Email cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include “NHPF AVP” in the subject line of the email.
The NHP Foundation (“NHPF”) is a not-for-profit organization whose mission is to help preserve and create sustainable, service-enriched, multiple family housing that is both affordable to low and moderate income families of all ages as well as serves the needs of the community. Since its founding in 1989, The NHP Foundation has been one of the leaders in the affordable housing community across the country and currently supports more than 20,000 residents in 6218 units in 16 states around the country and the District of Columbia. NHPF is also one of the twelve founding partners of the Housing Partnership Equity Trust, an $80+ million REIT.
NHPF has a charitable mission and a business-like discipline in its approach to its work. It looks at the physical, social and financial needs of the people in a community to bring about housing which better meets the residents’ needs, both in terms of affordability as well as in programs. NHPF’s vision is to help provide a future where communities flourish because attractive, sustainable housing options and life-enhancing services are ensured for income-challenged residents.
NHPF is growing, both due to its successes and the increasing need for affordable housing in communities across the United States. As such, it has a need to increase the capacity of its External Affairs function, which is responsible for the fundraising, communications, public relations, and publications, to help build relationships with donors and partners to support NHPF in its work.
The NHP Foundation is seeking a skilled professional with experience in fundraising, Pay For Success, and Community and Social Impact Investing to join its team as the Assistant Vice President, External Affairs (“AVP”). Reporting to and working in collaboration with the Senior VP, the AVP will be expected to support the organization in its fundraising efforts, including soliciting new corporate partners and funders, stewarding current relationships, researching prospective donors and grant opportunities, as well as developing additional strategies to increase funding. This individual will be expected to raise a minimum of $1 million annually to fund the Operation Pathways Resident Services program, to be actively involved in strategy sessions, cultivation and solicitation activities, and to identify and respond to grant proposals.
The AVP must be a highly intelligent self-starter with a proven record of accomplishment who has a commitment to NHPF’s mission and its organizational development goals. The AVP should have substantial experience in fundraising, including responding to grant proposals as well as marketing and communications. He/she will possess excellent speaking and writing skills and be able to communicate successfully and persuasively within the organization, as well as to affiliates, and legal counsel when necessary. The successful candidate will be highly organized, diplomatic, possess sound judgment and relationship building skills as well as honed interpersonal skills, and maintain a sense of humor under stress.
The primary functions of this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Research, analyze and identify trends to determine the strongest positioning plans and tactics
- Secure new sponsors through cold outreach
- Research, develop and pitch new opportunities to existing partners
- Cultivate and expand strategic partnerships and sponsorships to build and extend NHPF brand reach
- Manage client relationships to ensure satisfaction and renewed investment
- Create fresh multi-platform programs to bring in new and increase current partner investments
- Generate philanthropic communications/marketing solutions including social media, mobile, promotions, events, digital, retail and PR elements
- Manage strategy and oversee tactical execution for beginning-stage and renewing partnerships
- Lead cross-functional teams/projects in order to identify and overcome challenges
- Produce marketing materials including presentations, proposals and sell sheets
- Establish metric standards to clearly measure successes and identify new opportunities
- Work alongside the foundation team to integrate events, social and mobile media campaigns to increase engagement and ROI for partners
- Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum eight (8) years progressively responsible experience with proven sales, business development or fundraising track record
- Authority, personality and passion to serve as an external champion for the foundation and its growth
- Ability to lead masterful conversations from prospecting to needs discovery to closing
- Understanding of a wide-range of communications disciplines and capabilities, including digital and emerging media; data, measurement and analytics; strategy, planning and outreach; and social media usage tracking and evaluation
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills and ability to connect with diverse audiences
- Experience setting goals and objectives, prioritizing and structuring action plans and work activities
- Self-starter with ability to work well under pressure, manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines
- Commitment to the NHP Foundation’s mission and core values
- Proficient in MS Office
- Periodic local travel and ability to work nights and weekends as required
The NHP Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For additional information about the NHP Foundation, please visit their website at www.nhpfoundation.org.