Tina’s Wish has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Debbie Farrell, Senior Director, Leadership & Development|
Harris Rand Lusk
122 East 42nd Street, Suite 3605
New York, NY 10168
Please put the words “Tina’s Wish” in the subject line of your emailed application (resume and cover letter).
Know Early. Know Hope. ® This is the mission of Tina’s Wish, a non-profit organization dedicated to funding groundbreaking scientific research for the early detection and prevention of ovarian cancer. Since its inception in 2008, Tina’s Wish has raised more than $13 million and is currently awarding $1.6 million annually in private grants for cutting edge research.
Tina’s Wish was founded in memory of the Honorable Tina Brozman, former chief judge of the SDNY Bankruptcy Court who died two years after she was diagnosed – too late – with ovarian cancer.
Tina’s Wish is seeking a Campaign and Major Gifts Director (CMG Director) to professionalize its ongoing major gifts program while executing a multi-million-dollar campaign to fund immediate research for a realistic and achievable goal of an early detection test for ovarian cancer. The campaign, currently in the start-up phase, presents an opportunity for donors to play a vital role in accelerating progress toward this life-saving early detection test.
By the end of the campaign, annual fund-raising goals will be significantly higher than they are today: the CMG Director will build operations and activities to continue that momentum. The ideal candidate must be able to meet the challenge of managing a campaign, while implementing major gifts fundraising systems, processes and infrastructure over time.
Based in New York City, the CMG Director will report to the Executive Director, work closely with the Chair of the Board of Directors, and collaborate with board members, volunteers, and organizational leadership. S/he will oversee all aspects of the campaign and the major gift program and lead the effort to grow individual major gifts through identifying, cultivating and soliciting high-level prospects with the capacity to give beyond the $25,000 level.
Tina’s Wish is looking for a confident and dynamic fundraiser with a demonstrated ability to increase and sustain a high level of philanthropy, awareness and enthusiasm. S/he must be a highly effective manager with the knowledge and skills to build and oversee campaign-related major gifts efforts. This position requires a self-starter who can work both collaboratively and independently and manage multiple projects simultaneously. In addition, s/he must have an interest in and ability to communicate the organization’s programs and scientific mission.
- Together with the Executive Director to identify funding needs and targets; design and oversee development strategies that lead to a successful multi-year major gifts campaign
- Set the strategy for a major gifts program that includes measurable goals related to research and identification, communication, cultivation, solicitation and recognition initiatives
- Manage and oversee all aspects of a multi-year campaign: strategy, solicitations, operations, prospecting research, moves management tracking, etc.
- Personally manage a portfolio of 40-70 major donors, primarily in the New York region, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding each as appropriate
- Advance donor relationships through in-person visits, hosting small donor gatherings, and organizing visits with grantees and collaborators
- Systematically identify and qualify new major donor prospects
- Coach board and volunteers on campaign donor prospecting, stewardship, and solicitations
- For each donor in the portfolio, create and execute an individualized plan for deepening the relationship and retaining or increasing giving
- Work with the Tina’s Wish leadership team to identify and craft funding opportunities that align with the interests of donors in the portfolio and the organization’s strategic priorities
- Manage a growth-oriented major gifts program including technology and infrastructure
- Work with colleagues to develop briefing materials, presentations, proposals, gift agreements, acknowledgements and reports needed to secure and steward major gifts
- Regularly report on progress to the Tina’s Wish board and leadership
- Bachelor’s degree; a minimum of six years of professional experience in major gifts and/or transferrable experience in development
- Proven success in identifying and personally securing major gifts and the capability to systematize the building of a menu of options at the six- and seven-figure levels
- Experience with and knowledge of traditional, new and emerging fundraising strategies and the capacity to identify and cultivate supporters and funders
- Demonstrated experience identifying and securing short-lead gifts in addition to the usual major gift lead time
- Strong ability to motivate, inspire and organize
- Creative and entrepreneurial mindset
- Strong interpersonal skills and the proven ability to form strategic relationships with foundation and corporate executives, non-profit senior leadership, and advocates and supporters within the medical research and legal communities
- Superior organizational skills with proven ability to focus, prioritize and implement
- Excellent written and verbal communication as well as listening skills
- Ability to communicate medical and scientific issues surrounding ovarian cancer research
- Comfort with and/or willingness to embrace technology essential for a distributed team (e.g. cloud-based CRM, project management, document sharing, etc.)
Salary will be commensurate with experience. For more information on Tina’s Wish, please visit https://tinaswish.org