Trinity Church Wall Street has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Jack Lusk, Managing Partner
Anne McCarthy, Chief Operating Officer
Harris Rand Lusk
122 E. 42nd Street, Suite 3605
New York, NY 10168
Please put Trinity Commons ED in the subject line of your emailed application
About Trinity Church Wall Street
Trinity Church Wall Street (Trinity) is a growing and inclusive Episcopal community in Lower Manhattan that seeks to serve and heal the world through a wide range of ministries and programs. Its work is grounded in their core values of faith, integrity, inclusiveness, compassion, social justice and stewardship.
Trinity’s culture celebrates diversity and employees come from a variety of cultural, religious, racial, ethnic and professional backgrounds. Every individual who works at Trinity shares a common mission: to build generations of faithful leadership, to build up neighborhoods, and to build financial capacity for holy service in New York City and around the world.
About Trinity Commons
Trinity Church runs outreach programs committed to the downtown community in addressing the needs of its most vulnerable populations, including issues of homelessness, substance abuse, mental and behavioral health, eldercare, education, and youth development. As Trinity builds its new office tower, it has determined that these outreach programs should be housed in a new community center which will live in the first five floors of the tower. This new community center will be known as Trinity Commons and the organization to be built around it will be under the direction of the Vicar of Trinity Church and the responsibility of the first Executive Director.
Reporting to the Vicar and in consultation with the Rector and Senior Staff, the Executive Director of Trinity Commons is responsible for providing the overall leadership, direction, strategy, and vision for the use of Trinity Commons, its programmatic life, and advocacy of key issues of special interest to the Trinity community. The Executive Director will ensure that all Trinity Commons programs demonstrate vitality and innovation and reflect the Trinity culture, vision, mission, and values. S/he will also ensure that Trinity’s advocacy initiatives are aligned with the organization’s core values and with the efforts of the Rector, Vicar, other senior clergy, and the Vestry. The Executive Director will lead community engagement efforts throughout Trinity’s neighborhood in Lower Manhattan and lead outreach services for Manhattan’s most vulnerable populations. S/he will manage the programmatic operations of Trinity Commons, including scheduling of parochial and non-parochial events and activities and will ensure organizational and programmatic continuity, program member retention and growth, and exceptional program delivery through the cultivation of mutually beneficial partnerships.
- In collaboration with the Vicar and other senior leadership at Trinity, design and implement a strategic vision and plan complete with measurable objectives for Trinity Commons as a community hub for Lower Manhattan in constant conversation and coordination with the other significant strategic efforts at Trinity.
- Oversee and evaluate internal and external programming for mission alignment, community engagement, and financial viability.
- Oversee strategic framework and implementation of Trinity’s advocacy initiatives, such as gun violence prevention, immigration, criminal justice and police reform, education, antiracism, homelessness, housing, and healthcare.
- Oversee outreach services, connecting Manhattan’s most vulnerable populations with resources, including housing, food, healthcare.
- Serve as a community leader helping to build collaborative relationships and strategic alliances with local partners based on trust and credibility to advance Trinity Commons’ vision and objectives.
- Report through Vicar’s Office on trends in the use of Trinity Commons and success of advocacy initiatives and outreach offerings using metrics established by the Executive Director’s leadership team.
- Establish metrics and an evaluation process for the use of Trinity Commons as a community center and report routinely on the growth and performance of the Commons programmatic life and engagement in the community.
- Scheduling of parochial and non-parochial events and activities.
- Oversee analysis of competitive landscape across similar offerings in Manhattan, with a focus on those audiences in Trinity’s closest neighborhoods.
- Ensure that Trinity Commons is administratively sound, and that its operations and programs continue to be of appropriate content and quality to engage both existing and new community members.
- Evaluate existing, new, and potential programs to ensure that they are soundly managed, fiscally viable, and that they complement the mission and purpose of the institution.
- Provide leadership in the recruitment, retention, development, and motivation of a diverse, competent, and committed staff to meet the needs of Trinity Commons members and achieve identified objectives.
- Maintain strong internal communications and coordination among Trinity Commons programmatic and operational departments and across the organization, including but not limited to facilities, marketing, finance, and technology to insure the efficient and safe running of all programs.
- As needed, represent Trinity Commons with the press and external constituencies, and serve on committees and task forces.
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned by the Vicar and other senior leadership that will further the goals and objectives of Trinity Commons and Trinity, in general.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree in Social Work, Not-For-Profit Management or related field preferred.
- Minimum of 7-10 years of experience in program development and management, preferably within a non- profit or community-based organization.
- Dynamic leader who is visionary, ethical, innovative, and diplomatic
- Strong nonprofit experience working with and managing boards. Experience with faith communities preferred.
- Experience with organizational change, systems, and conflict resolution.
- Extensive managerial experience, including direct leadership of senior program professionals, demonstrating collaborative supervisory style
- Demonstrated track record of motivating and energizing others, both paid professionals and volunteers, to share in and work toward a common vision
- Clear and well-defined vision for and commitment to the unique role that Trinity plays in the NYC community
- Demonstrated ability and success in developing and implementing effective strategic business, financial and operations plans that will maintain a financially stable and sustainable organization.
- Strong organizational skills with proven ability to focus, prioritize and implement
- Superior writing and verbal communication skills with strong experience in media relations particularly beneficial
- Outstanding judgment and discretion in handling sensitive matters
- Professional integrity and a positive attitude
- An enthusiastic, energetic, creative, flexible leader who can juggle multiple conflicting priorities
- Strong work ethic and ability to work in a highly collaborative environment
- High level of discretion
Trinity Church Wall Street is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind: Trinity Church is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.