The Union Health Center has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Anne J. McCarthy, Senior Director/COO or
Elly Kirschner, Director Health and Advocacy
Harris Rand Lusk
122 East 42nd Street, Suite 3605
New York, NY 10168
Please submit your application, including resume and cover letter, to Elly Kirschner at email@example.com Please put the words “Union Health MD” in the subject line of your e-mailed application.
The Union Health Center (“Center”) is a state-of-the-art healthcare facility located in mid-town Manhattan which has been providing quality healthcare services to union members since it was established nearly 100 years ago as a result of the labor reforms that grew out of the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire. The Center has been recognized by peer organizations and others in healthcare for its medical program successes and its advanced team-based care model which has helped transform patient care. The Center prides itself on excellent patient care while continuing to strive for improvements in personalized care, patient engagement in self-management and population health.
The Union Health Center is seeking an outstanding medical professional to become its new Medical Director. Reporting to the Center’s Chief Executive Officer (“CEO”), the Medical Director will be a vibrant, dedicated, and enterprising physician and leader who will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day clinical operations of the Center, which includes supervising the medical staff with the objective of maximizing a positive patient experience. In addition, he or she will work collaboratively with the CEO and staff on a broad range of clinical policy, programmatic, and strategic issues required to achieve the short- and long-term plans and objectives of the Center.
The successful candidate should have significant primary care practice experience in a continuity setting, including use of an electronic health record; she/he will be expected to see patients at the Center.
As part of the leadership team, it is critical that the new Medical Director be someone who is dedicated to high quality patient care and patient experience and committed to finding new ways to treat patients in a cost-effective way. Experience working with or for community health centers or comparable ambulatory settings is highly desired as well as a background working with underserved urban populations. Understanding and embracing the culture of the Center is critical and experience with unionized workers and their benefit funds is highly desired.
Excellent negotiation and communication skills are crucial. He or she must be able to work closely with the Board, the CEO and staff to promote an open, inclusive environment that emphasizes cooperation and teamwork with a minimum of ego. “Fit” within a broader organization with a strong brand and culture is essential. In addition, he or she will be bright, diplomatic, analytical, of the highest integrity, and possess sound judgment as well as a sense of humor.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Oversee and manage all clinical operations, including supervising and scheduling medical staff.
- Provide feedback to providers based on direct observation, quality performance data, chart reviews, patient complaints and staff input.
- Oversee the hiring and orientation of new providers.
- Deliver primary care services within the Center.
- Provide medical guidance for the clinic-wide quality assurance program. Review, monitor, and ensure the functioning of the Quality Improvement, Utilization Management and Risk
- Management activities involving medical staff.
- Chair the Board committees for Quality Assurance/Risk Management, Safety and Infection Control, and any other committee as assigned by the CEO.
- Carry out periodic performance appraisals of clinical staff in conjunction with the senior leadership team and assist in the evaluation of medical staff for credentialing and re-credentialing purposes.
- Provide key support and oversight to the Center’s efforts to meet the standards established by the National Committee for Quality Assurance (“NCQA”) for Patient Centered Medical Home (“PCMH”) recognition and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) for Meaningful Use.
- Comply with the Union Health Center’s policies & procedures related to privacy and security of protected health information including identifiable patient information, as explained in the HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act) training.
- Work closely with all medical service managers and administrators to identify and analyze operational challenges, as well as to design and implement process improvements. Contribute to the development of policies and standards of patient care.
- Work closely with the CEO and help provide guidance on budgets and the financial management of the Center.
- Graduate of a Liaison Committee on Medical Education (“LCME”) accredited school of medicine.
- Board certified Doctor of Medicine, with a specialty in internal medicine or family practice strongly preferred; five (5) years of experience post board certification.
- Must hold and be current on all licenses and certifications required by federal, New York State, and local jurisdictions.
- Meets the criteria for active medical staff membership and possesses the requisite administrative competence for the position.
- Supervisory and managerial experience, preferably at a multispecialty group practice.
- Experience managing and driving change initiatives, including as-is process mapping and the design and rollout of new processes and standard operating procedures preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including public speaking; demonstrated ability to work in partnership with the CEO and staff.
- Experience working in community health and/or with those affected by the challenges associated with poverty is a plus.
- Strong analytical and interpersonal skills; results-oriented, team player with an open-minded and entrepreneurial management style.
- Commitment to the mission, purpose and values of the Center.
- Advanced computer skills in a variety of applications. Must be familiar with Electronic Medical Records and their use as a tool to support the healthcare operations.
- Language proficiency in Spanish preferred.
Salary commensurate with experience. For more information about the Union Health Center, please visit their website at www.unionhealthcenter.org