United Hospital Fund of New York
Vice President of Human Resources and Chief Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer
The United Hospital Fund of New York has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Jack Lusk, Managing Partner & CEO
Anne McCarthy, COO
Harris Rand Lusk
260 Madison Avenue, 15th Floor\
New York, NY 10016
Please put “UHF VP” in the subject line of your emailed application.
The mission of the United Hospital Fund (UHF) is to build an effective and equitable health care system for every New Yorker. An independent, nonprofit organization, UHF’s groundbreaking initiatives provide analysis and information to support universal, affordable, comprehensive health insurance coverage and access to care; promote improvements in the quality, patient experience, and efficiency of health care delivery; and reduce health disparities by fostering collaborations between the health care delivery system and communities to improve health and well-being and to address the social determinants of health.
Core Values of the United Hospital Fund:
- We are committed to rigorous and objective inquiry and analysis, embracing our role as an independent, trusted source of information and evidence for action to improve health.
- We focus our activities on improving the lives of underserved, disadvantaged populations, as we believe that all people deserve the opportunity to lead long, healthy lives.
- We believe that to find solutions to complex problems we need participation from a wide range of stakeholders, and actively seek partners in our work.
- Long view. We take a long-term perspective, tackling persistent problems that require systemic solutions.
United Hospital Fund was founded by hospital trustees and other concerned New Yorkers in 1879 as an innovative approach to organizing charitable support for voluntary, non-profit hospitals in New York City and to help solve shared problems. Known for more than a century as the nation’s oldest federated charity, UHF has played a central role in addressing critical health care issues facing New York, and in the creation of many of the organizations and institutions that today help define the city’s and state’s health care landscape. No longer a federated charity, today’s independent United Hospital Fund focus extends far beyond hospitals to include the full spectrum of the health care ecosystem.
The United Hospital Fund of New York is seeking a skilled and supportive human resources professional to become its next Vice President of Human Resources and Chief Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer (“VP”). Reporting to the President, the VP is a critical member of the senior leadership team and supports UHF’s mission, values, people, and culture with exceptional personal sensitivity and skill. Providing guidance and expertise to the executives, managers, and staff throughout the organization, the VP is a leader who develops and implements strategic initiatives, which reflect best practices and that drive and support a highly engaged and performing organizational culture, particularly around the issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
They must be an adept leader with a demonstrated ability to develop and promote organizational values of accountability, diversity, inclusivity, equity, and autonomy. They are responsible for overseeing the humanresources and DEI strategy in support of the overall business plan and strategic direction of the organization, specifically in the areas of talent management, organizational and performance management, organizational culture, diversity, equity, and inclusion, change management, employee engagement, training and development, benefits and compensation, and Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS).
The VP should have substantial experience in managing human resources for diverse and complex organizations. They will possess excellent speaking and writing skills and be able to communicate successfully and persuasively within the organization and with outside contacts, consultants, and legal counsel, when necessary. The successful candidate will be highly organized, diplomatic, possess sound judgment as well as honed interpersonal skills.
- Develops HR and DEI plans and strategies that effectively align with and support the company’s mission and strategic vision and promote the achievement of overall business objectives.
- Participates actively as a member of the senior management team directing overall organization operations, preparing for Board meetings, and developing, designing, and implementing strategic planning to promote UHF’s mission and goals.
- Functions as a strategic advisor to the senior management/directors regarding key organizational and management issues.
- Provides overall leadership and guidance to the HR function by overseeing and developing programs for talent acquisition, retention, training, compensation, and benefits to meet organizational needs and strategic goals.
- Develops and manages the HR department budget.
- Oversees the organization’s diversity initiatives and strategy to attract, hire, and maintain a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace.
- Researches, develops, implements, evaluates, and collaborates with senior leaders to integrate diversity best practices into workplace and business practices.
- Integrates DEI initiatives across organizational practices to help cultivate and embed a diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture.
- Oversees DEI project team and DEI staff workgroups.
- Facilitates and manages conversations around equity, inclusion, and justice.
- Advises and coaches managers and staff, helping to build empathy and cultural competence.
- Develops and/or acquires training and development to support DEI initiatives.
- Reviews current practices and policies, assessing and analyzing the extent to which they support or hinder the company’s diversity goals.
- Designs, develops and implements talent review process to achieve business goals and results.
- Coaches supervisory and line staff in promoting optimal performance.
- Oversees the employee evaluative process and compensation review.
- Analyzes current benefit plans and explores new benefit program options.
- Oversees the employee engagement review process. Evaluate survey results and create plans that nurture an optimal workplace environment with highly engaged staff.
- Organizes and coordinates staff training and development initiatives.
- Manages employee inquiries and grievance issues. Conducts investigations and implement corrective action plans when necessary.
- Oversees the human resources information and management systems; ADP, PayScale, and LinkedIn Learning.
- Develops and maintains records and reports to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Develops managers and staff through active mentorship, advising and coaching on personal and professional development.
- Other duties as assigned by the President.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- A minimum baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university; advanced degree
- An organized and strategic approach to management and development with at least 15 years of professional success in a complex, sophisticated, high-profile, organization, including at least several years in an HR leadership position. Nonprofit leadership experience preferred.
- A record of participation in the senior management of a changing organization.
- Experience in strategic planning and management of human resources and diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- SHRM professional certification preferred.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITY:
- Knowledge of human resources and DEI functions including strong familiarity with local, state, and federal employment regulations and compliance, talent acquisition, performance and change management, compensation and benefits management, and legal compliance with benefits plans.
- Strong leadership skills; business acumen; active mentorship; short and long-term visionary; solid project management and organizational skills and an ability to work independently managing multiple assignments and teams.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills; strong group facilitation skills; and an ability to remain objective and maintain discretion and confidentiality.
- Proficiency in HRIS systems and MS Office.
United Hospital Fund is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex,sexual orientation, gender expression, age, physical or mental ability, veteran status, military obligations, and marital status.
For more information about the United Hospital Fund of New York, please visit their website at www.uhfnyc.org