Women’s Transportation Seminar has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries and/or resume and salary requirements may be directed in confidence to:
Christopher Boylan, Director, Transportation & Infrastructure Practice
Harris Rand Lusk Executive Search
122 East 42 Street, Suite 3605
New York, NY 10168
Women’s Transportation Seminar (WTS), founded in 1977, is a truly unique member-driven and governed association based in Washington, DC, that promotes professional career development, leadership training, mentoring, and networking opportunities for women in the multi-modal Transportation industry.
With more than 6500 members and 79 local chapters across the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom, WTS is connected to a constantly growing network of over 40,000 transportation professionals. WTS works hand-in-hand with those local chapters to provide a diverse program of professional activities that give its members unparalleled access to the highest levels of industry and government — turning the glass ceiling into a career portal.
WTS is currently searching for a talented manager who will help shape and communicate a professional image for the Association and the Foundation in serving in the newly created role of Executive Director.
Taking policy direction from a very active and engaged Board of Directors, the Executive Director will be a team player who is innovative, flexible, trustworthy and transparent in managing the organization’s day-to-day operations, finances and member services, and who will fully understand her/his role vis a vis the Board and the WTS members.
The next WTS Executive Director will enhance WTS’s image and further its mission by supporting the Board’s individual and collective communication with its regional Chapters, Sponsors, Members and the broader transportation industry. That will require a complete understanding of the relationships that make WTS unique, and rise to the challenges those relationships present — addressing the needs of current members as well as prospective members and providing them with a value proposition that leverages both current and potential capabilities of WTS to serve them even better.
That individual must be a strategic thinker who is fully committed to the vision and mission and will implement the current strategic plan.
Experience and Qualifications
The ideal candidate will possess:
- A proven track record of successful management, finance, operations and foundation experience in a nonprofit membership association, advocacy organization, or transportation-related entity.
- Financial management skills that encompass everything from budget development, management, and accountability, to developing sustaining and growing sources of funding and revenues for WTS and the WTS Foundation.
- Familiarity with the transportation industry is preferred, however not necessary
- Exceptional interpersonal skills that foster positive relationships with Boards, staff, Chapter and regional leadership.
- Experience working directly with Boards, committees and industry partners with a comprehensive understanding of the relationships and relative responsibilities of each.
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills with internal and external audiences, this may include speaking on behalf of the organization and the Chair of the Board, as authorized.
- Experience in employing public relations strategies and emerging social media tools and techniques.
- Significant experience in the coordination and logistics oversight of programming, conference management, and event planning.
- Experience in administration and management of all operations; including office operations, policies, procedures and maintaining the records and documents of the organization.
- Experience with direct supervision, mentoring, developing a high-functioning staff team and building talent.
- Experience with strategic planning implementation and the ability to grasp the big picture in concert/partnership with the Board of Directors.
- A professional network that can be accessed for resources and support.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business or a related discipline, although an advanced degree in a similar discipline is preferred.
WTS is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive salary and benefits package.