Yale Law School has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Nominations and expressions of interest from highly qualified individuals should be directed to Elly Kirschner, Senior Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org
A top-ranked law school in the world, Yale Law School stands out due to its relatively small class size allowing for personal attention from its renowned faculty and its interdisciplinary approach to teaching law. With a focus on public service, Yale Law School’s approximately 30 clinics cover an astonishing range of work from gender violence to environmental protection, capital punishment to entrepreneurship, and mass incarceration to global health.
Dean Heather Gerken is a leader in an ambitious and innovative model of legal education where students perform cutting-edge legal work. She is dedicated to building a community that represents Yale Law School’s authentic commitment to cultural and intellectual diversity, and graduating lawyers who go on to be leaders, both within and beyond the legal profession.
Yale Law School seeks an exceptionally talented leader committed to the philosophy, culture and future of the school as its next Associate Dean of Alumni Engagement and Development. The Associate Dean will develop and execute, in partnership with Dean Heather Gerken, the largest comprehensive fundraising campaign in the school’s history while simultaneously working with faculty and staff to implement annual and long-term development and alumni engagement strategies for deepening a loyal and influential alumni community. The new Associate Dean will need to support and enhance an existing platform of robust programs and services to this community.
The Associate Dean must have strategic vision and the capacity to be a true partner to the Dean and colleagues. They will be a dynamic leader with uncommon emotional intelligence, able to inspire purpose, manage teams and bring ideas to fruition. In addition, they will excel at building and sustaining effective internal and external relationships with high profile donors, alumni, and friends of the law school, as well as internally with academic leaders and administrative colleagues.
In addition to direct donor interaction, this role provides supervision for key functions that support a professional development operation. The Associate Dean will structure the department’s goals, workflow, plans for execution and the smooth implementation of the Dean’s priorities.
The ideal candidate will be an intellectually sharp and persuasive individual who brings significant accomplishments and a commitment to higher education and the law. To succeed in the role, one must have a balanced blend of confidence, humility, strength and diplomacy.
Additional qualifications include:
- Sophisticated approach to fundraising that will successfully build upon Yale Law School’s tremendous accomplishments to date
- Knowledge of best practices and the ability to critically evaluate fundraising efforts
- Skilled at applying new and innovative fundraising tools that take advantage of growth opportunities
- Systems-oriented with well-honed fundraising operations skills
- Analytical, organized, proactive, detail-oriented with strong ability to prioritize
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong management skills
- Experience building diverse networks, partnerships, and long-term collaborative working relationships
- Significant accomplishments and experience working in a complex institution
- High level of intelligence and creativity