Yonkers Partners in Education has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Debbie Farrell, Senior Director, Leadership and Development
Harris Rand Lusk
122 E. 42nd Street, Suite 3605
New York, NY 10168
Email cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include “YPIE Director of Development” in the subject line of the email.
Yonkers Partners in Education (YPIE) helps underserved public high school students from low-income backgrounds achieve college success. Each year, more than 1000 high school students participate in YPIE’s innovative model that links academic improvement and enrichment programs with long-term adult mentorship. YPIE provides students with support that begins in 9th grade and continues that support throughout the college years. As a result of participating, 86% of YPIE students achieve college placement, a significantly higher placement rate than the nationwide figure of 63%.
In Yonkers, where eight out of ten public high school students are within the federal poverty level, the majority of students will be the first in their family to attend college. YPIE ensures that students receive information and resources needed to access the path to college. Beginning in the 9th grade, students visit YPIE’s College Zone, a fun and inspiring extended day learning space where students receive instruction in math, science and language arts to meet the college readiness benchmarks established by NY State, as well as ACT/SAT test preparation, college essay writing and high quality college advising in their junior and senior years. The College Zone curriculum includes activities that increase executive functioning skills, intellectual curiosity, grit and other traits linked to college success, as well as enrichment activities such as video game design, culinary arts or screenwriting that help students visualize an exciting career path. Each student is paired with a trained adult mentor who provides life coaching, encouragement and support throughout high school. After graduation, students continue to receive one-on-one mentorship and coaching as they enter, acclimate to college, and through their college years. This regular communication and support helps students navigate the challenges of college and increases the chance of successful graduation.
This is a pivotal and exciting time for Yonkers Partners in Education. With the construction of an expanded College Zone in Yonkers, as well as potential interest in an expansion of its programs, YPIE is currently in a position of growth. The organization seeks a fundraising leader to grow and diversify the YPIE funding stream and increase the visibility and understanding of the organization’s work.
Yonkers Partners in Education is looking for an individual with extraordinary leadership skills to become its next Director of Development (“DD”). The DD must be a confident and strategic fundraising leader who possesses exceptional communication skills, demonstrates interpersonal judgment and has the desire to work collaboratively with a mission-driven team. The right candidate will work closely with the Executive Director to create strategies, realize new philanthropic and business relationships, and be an engaging steward. This is a great opportunity for an enterprising fundraiser to make a direct, positive impact on the lives of thousands of students.
The primary functions of this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Create and implement a multi-year, measurable development strategy and plan
- Partner with senior leadership to create the strategic case for investing in YPIE, deepen relationships, expand the donor base and increase year over year giving
- Develop fundraising plans to identify new opportunities and grow individual giving, leadership giving, foundation and corporate grants and sponsorships, planned giving, and events including annual gala
- Solicit contributions and seek partnership opportunities for major gifts from individuals, foundations and corporations
- Monitor existing opportunities at grant-making foundations, corporations and federal and state grants; develop relationships to increase the percentage of grants awarded; and write grant proposals as needed
- Create a calendar delineating annual giving appeals, special events, social media promotions, marketing pieces, and stewardship
- Maintain strong relationships with board members and continue to involve them in identifying, establishing, and advancing relationships with ongoing and prospective donors
- Serve as staff liaison for the Board Development Committee
- Create a system to acknowledge all gifts and ensure donor information is captured in the DonorPerfect database for future outreach and performance analysis
- Establish and monitor metrics to track the effectiveness of fundraising goals and engagement efforts
- Develop a mechanism to ensure monthly reporting for all received gifts
- Partner with appropriate team members to ensure that donors, grantors and email recipients receive integrated and appropriate messaging, including mail and online appeals and an annual report for donors
- As a member of the YPIE senior management team, contribute to the overall administration, innovation and long-term planning for the organization
Critical Competencies for Success
- Bachelor’s Degree required, relevant advanced degree preferred
- Minimum five years of fundraising experience with demonstrated success in identifying, soliciting and securing five- and six-figure commitments from corporations, foundations, and high net worth individuals
- Ability to think strategically to create and implement viable fundraising plans with ambitious but achievable goals
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills including the demonstrated ability to articulate compelling cases for support
- Mastery of donor software and proficiency in the Google Platform; experience with DonorPerfect is a plus
- Experience with digital philanthropy and social media engagement
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to motivate board and staff to produce and succeed
- A commitment to teamwork, yet able to work independently
- Growth mindset
- A collegial, collaborative and communicative managerial style and sense of humor
- Demonstrated success in establishing strong working relations with top executives and board members
- Authentic interest in YPIE’s mission and a genuine passion for philanthropy
- Valid Driver’s License and ability to travel throughout Westchester
For more information about Yonkers Partners in Education, visit http://www.ypie.org/