Yonkers Partners in Education has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Jack Lusk, Managing Partner and CEO
Harris Rand Lusk
122 E. 42nd Street, Suite 3605
New York, NY 10168
Email cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include “YPIE ED” in the subject line of your email.
Yonkers Partners in Education (YPIE) helps underserved public high school students from low-income backgrounds achieve college success. Each year, more than 1,000 high school students participate in YPIE’s innovative model that links academic improvement and enrichment programs with long-term adult mentorship. With a budget of $2.35 million, YPIE provides students with support that begins in 9th grade and continues through the first two years of college. As a result of participating, 92% of YPIE students enroll in college, a significantly higher placement rate than the nationwide figure of 63%.
In Yonkers, where eight out of ten public high school students are within the federal poverty level, the majority of students will be the first in their family to attend college. YPIE, with a staff of 24 as well as more than 200 active and committed program volunteers, ensures that students receive information and resources needed to access the path to college. Beginning in the 9th grade, students attend the YPIE College Zone, a fun and inspiring extended day learning space where they receive instruction in math, science and language arts to meet the college readiness benchmarks established by NY State, as well as ACT/SAT test preparation, college essay writing and high quality college advising in their junior and senior years. The YPIE College Zone curriculum includes activities that increase executive functioning skills, intellectual curiosity, grit and other traits linked to college success, as well as enrichment activities such as video game design, culinary arts or screenwriting that help students visualize an exciting career path.
Each student is paired with a trained volunteer adult mentor who provides life coaching, encouragement and support throughout high school. After graduation, students continue to receive one-on-one support and coaching as they enter and acclimate to college, and this continues through their first two years. This regular communication and support helps students navigate the challenges of college and increases the chance of successful graduation.
This is a pivotal and exciting time for Yonkers Partners in Education. With the construction of an expanded College Zone in Yonkers, as well as strong interest in an expansion of its programs, YPIE is in a position to consider growth. To ensure its continued success, the organization seeks an individual with extraordinary leadership skills to be its next Executive Director.
The Executive Director is the leader of the YPIE organization and should be a highly effective manager with the personal skill set to be able to grow the organization within the Board’s vision. The new leader will be responsible for YPIEs continued expansion and be comfortable with assessment tools to monitor both performance and growth. The ED must therefore be able to develop and implement creative financing strategies, including utilizing traditional fundraising techniques and approaches, as well as being entrepreneurial in finding and implementing new funding streams.
The ED must be intelligent, a leader and a self-starter who is committed to YPIEs core mission. In addition, he or she must be a hands-on manager, a strategic thinker and planner, and a problem solver, able to respond quickly and effectively. Excellent negotiation and communication skills are critical. He or she must be equally comfortable in making presentations before corporate executives, elected officials, public agency administrators, and the public.
Since inception, YPIE’s success has been due in part to the collegial and collaborative culture that has been forged by the Executive Director with the organization’s various constituencies. To maintain and expand on this culture, the ED must be able to work closely with the Board, staff and stakeholders to promote an open, inclusive environment that emphasizes cooperation and teamwork. In addition, he or she will be diplomatic, of the highest integrity, and possess unwavering tenacity, grit, sound judgment as well as a sense of humor.
Fundraising and Partnership Development
- Together with the Chief Development Director and Board of Directors, advance and implement a comprehensive development strategy to include individual gifts, corporate, foundation, and government grants that increases visibility, impact and financial resources to support YPIE’s short and long-term strategic goals
- Identify and cultivate new funding streams
- Develop and oversee all major grant proposals; coordinate grant reporting requirements
- Working with the Development Team and Board of Directors, plan, market, coordinate and execute all fundraisers and special events
- Represent YPIE effectively with donors, partners and other stakeholders across a wide variety of settings
- Continue to build YPIE’s positive relationship with the Yonkers public school community
Management and Operations
- Implement the organization’s vision, strategic plan, operations plan and fundraising efforts
- Build and maintain a strong partnership with the board by clearly communicating organization initiatives, successes and opportunities. Achieve consensus; build and cultivate the board including recommendations for new directors
- Supervise operations, budget, education and professional development, performance metrics for staff and programs, data management, and personnel
- Establish and maintain partnerships with local community-based organizations, corporations, foundations and individual funders
- Motivate and maintain a diverse and cohesive staff; manage recruitment, hiring, and development of staff. Provide leadership, supervise, set quality standards and evaluate performance
Marketing and Communications
- As chief spokesperson for the organization, advocate for and represent YPIE at various speaking engagements, colleges and universities, graduate schools, philanthropic and educational conferences and in the media
- Facilitate the development and distribution of promotional materials
- Ensure the efficient management of the YPIE website
- Continue to raise awareness and broaden understanding within the college admissions community about YPIE’s programs
- Collaborate with senior program staff to provide oversight to all programs
- Attract, retain and develop high performing teams
- Research and develop partnerships with other youth serving and education organizations and non-profits in area to maximize resources
- Create program-wide goals with well-defined metrics and meet them through strong leadership and management
- Develop, implement and refine programming that addresses students’ individual and collective needs
- Evaluate effectiveness and best practices of programs and refine model to reflect findings.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, relevant advanced degree preferred
- Proven leadership experience in education
- Accomplished fundraiser at ease in the role of seeking and asking for individual and major gifts, and grants; adept at developing institutional partnerships to advance the mission
- Solid experience working with and supporting a board of directors; ability to motivate board and staff to produce and succeed
- Demonstrated ability and success in developing and implementing effective strategic business, financial and operations plans that will maintain a financially stable and sustainable organization
- Strong organizational skills with proven ability to focus, prioritize and implement
- A commitment to teamwork and the ability to engender team spirit in staff
- Dynamic leader who is visionary, ethical, innovative, and diplomatic
- Commitment to and enthusiasm for YPIE’s mission and a genuine passion for philanthropy
- Valid Driver’s License and ability to travel
For more information about Yonkers Partners in Education, visit http://www.ypie.org/