Confidential Nonprofit Community Development Organization
Senior Vice President of Real Estate
The Confidential Organization has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Anne McCarthy, COO
Harris Rand Lusk
260 Madison Avenue, 15th Floor
New York, NY 10016
Please put “Confidential SVP” in the subject line of your emailed application.
This Confidential Nonprofit Housing Development Organization builds and sustains high quality affordable housing, complemented by transformative work in youth elderly, and workforce development in New York City. The Organization has developed over 2000 units of housing and currently owns/manages 1,550 units of affordable housing in 75 buildings and expects a significant growth inflection over the next several years with a pipeline of 1800 units in current production.
The Organization seeks a Senior Vice President to oversee its Property Management affiliate company. Responsibilities include operations, asset management, regulatory compliance and capital planning. They will work closely with a broad array of external partners, investor lenders, government regulatory agencies and key staff. This is a senior management position and will report directly to the CEO .
The Senior Vice President will lead a team of 85 professionals, mangers and line staff. They are responsible for financial management, and compliance. working closely with the organization’s accounting, development teams. The Senior Vice President will oversee the enterprise and create and implement asset strategies that will plan for future growth, establish oversight protocols, set performance benchmarks, property management software and facilitate opportunities to improve property performance. They will communicate with internal and external stakeholders to ensure compliance reporting in accordance with applicable lender, investor, and governmental regulatory governance. They will provide positive leadership to a large and growing team.
Successful candidate will most likely have substantial experience in the nonprofit or similar affordable housing, asset management, real estate and/ and housing finance arenas and must demonstrate significant accomplishments and past successes. In addition, he or she must be the enterprise leader, strategic thinker and planner, a problem solver and be able to respond to crises and changing conditions quickly and effectively.
Excellent negotiation and communication skills are critically important, as well as superior diplomatic skills. They must be equally comfortable in making presentations before members of the community, corporate executives, elected officials, public agency administrators, and other stakeholders. They must be able to work closely with the leadership and staff to promote an open, inclusive environment that emphasizes cooperation and teamwork with a minimum of ego. In addition, they will be sharp, tactful, analytical, of the highest integrity, and possess sound judgment as well as a sense of humor. The position has a growth opportunity to serve as the Property Management Company CEO.
- Demonstrated capacity to lead large team and work with people of diverse economic, social, and ethnic backgrounds.
- Strong financial, team building, management, and interpersonal skills.
- Well organized with excellent problem-solving skills.
- A background which exhibits a demonstrated commitment to affordable housing and not-for-profit social enterprise.
- Broad knowledge and experience in housing finance, property management, compliance.
- Budgeting financial reporting and Financial Analysis.
- Ability to analyze and track reserves to meet short- and long-term requirements.
- Utilize software platform such as Onsite to manage and analyze properties.
- Understanding of policy and practices to improve organizational efficiency.
- Knowledge of building systems, building codes, and rent regulations.
- Lead with positive customer service and team building skills.
- Experience with overseeing tenant compliance and reporting functions.
- An understanding of City of New York, State of New York, Federal LIHTC, and HUD affordable housing programs, finance opportunities, laws, and regulations
- A strong and demonstrable capacity for preparing, analyzing, and working with pro formas; budgets; and analyzing management reports, audits, financial reports.
- Minimum college degree and ideally possess a Graduate degree in Real Estate, Accounting and/or related field.
- 10-15 years’ experience in senior affordable Asset Management position with increasing levels of responsibilities.
- In-depth knowledge of legal and financial requirements for affordable housing in New York City, including HUD regulations and HPD rules and regulations.
- At least five (5) years of supervisory experience in substantive positions requiring the ability to lead a team, formulate and implement policy, and work with diverse partners.
- Solid knowledge of Property and Asset Management software.
- Requires in-person presence.
The Confidential Organization offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Base salary will be in the $200K range. All positions are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.