Comprehensive Youth Development has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Elly Kirschner, Senior Director
Harris Rand Lusk Executive Search
260 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10016
Your application should include a resume and cover letter describing your interest in the role; please put “CYD” in the subject line of your e-mail.
Background: Comprehensive Youth Development (CYD) helps to transform the lives of New York City’s young people by empowering them to create rewarding futures for themselves and their families by helping them complete high school and succeed in college, advanced training, and the workplace. With a budget of $4M, CYD serves more than 3,500 young people each year, providing a range of services to low-income and underserved NYC public school students and alumni ages 14-24. As well as being direct service providers, CYD actively advocates for the needs of NYC’s young adults with government agencies, funders, and educators.
CYD is committed to education as equity – many of the young people they serve are BIPOC and new immigrants, and most are the first in their families to go to college. CYD strongly believes that success for young people occurs when preparation meets opportunity. To that end they provide academic and social support services in three public high schools– tutoring, college advisement from college choice to applications and financial aid, connections to postsecondary certificate programs, and workforce readiness skills. These services are supported by a range of counseling and referral services that help dismantle the barriers that stand in the way of high school graduation and future progress.
CYD is looking for an experienced Director of Development and Communications (DDC) to join the senior leadership team. The DDC will lead a three-member team to raise and secure revenues to support CYD’s current services and future growth, and will oversee all agency communications including the website, newsletters, and social media. This is a highly visible role, both internally and with the Board and funding partners.
Position: The Director of Development and Communications joins CYD at an exciting moment. With CYD’s 30thanniversary in 2025, CYD is actively engaged in a strategic examination of current programming and future development. The DDC will join a collaborative and experienced senior leadership team and work closely with a visionary and charismatic ED, as well as an engaged and active Board of Directors.
The DDC is responsible for all private fundraising efforts and agency communications. They will build upon current successful foundation, corporate, and individual fundraising, overseeing efforts to continue to raise and increase revenues which currently comprise 40% of the CYD budget. The DDC also oversees the strategy and implementation of agency communications to the Board and a large group of stakeholders that convey the importance of the work and encourage participation. As CYD moves into its fourth decade, they are seeking a DDC that will broaden their funding base and institute new methods to engage and retain donors.
- Partner with the ED and Board to develop a comprehensive annual fundraising strategy and implementation plan to support CYD’s mission and advance set goals.
- Lead and manage the Development team’s activities and workflow to effect all fundraising and communication efforts.
- Continue to broaden CYD’s base of foundation funders by researching and cultivating new and maintaining current funder relationships through communications and engaging reporting.
- Create strategies to engage board members to participate in individual giving efforts, including through annual gifts and outreach to prospective donors through the end-of-year fundraising campaign. This includes the creation and implementation of the Annual Fund campaign and supporting materials.
- Lead the design and implementation of the annual fundraising event, the CYD Spelling Bee for Grownups, and work with the board to grow attendance and participation.
- Collaborate with board members and staff to design and implement periodic corporate volunteer events either in person or virtually.
- Work with CYD school site staff to recruit students and create supporting materials for these events.
Board Membership/Meetings and Stewardship
- Staff board committee meetings; create productive quarterly agendas and minutes.
- Collaborate with the ED and the Board’s Nominations and Governance Committee to research and identify new board candidates.
- Partner with Board members and the ED to identify and implement donor and volunteer stewardship activities including thank-you events and communications.
- Work with the Board to identify and implement board stewardship events including social events.
- Collaborate with the senior leadership team and the ED to develop and lead staff stewardship activities, including onboarding, staff parties and outings, gifts, and more.
- With the Development team, design and implement an integrated communications strategy and implementation plan to engage supporters and build an increased understanding of CYD’s model and impact.
- Produce persuasive and compelling communications including monthly newsletter, internal news, the organization’s website, social media posts, videos, event invitations, and more.
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of eight (8) years of professional development and fundraising experience
- Track record of developing, implementing, and reporting on diversified fundraising plans
- Demonstrated understanding and experience in raising revenues from both foundation and individual sources
- Experience working with a sophisticated Board of Directors on board development and fundraising
- Superb communication and relationship-building skills with the ability to work effectively with a range of colleagues and partners (e.g., board members, funders, volunteers, and advocates)
- Outstanding writing, editing, and storytelling skills, with flexibility to engage diverse audiences using a range of media and the understanding of how to create content that draws an audience
- Ability to set priorities and manage multiple projects in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with aggressive deadlines
- Strong and creative management skills with experience cultivating and building a team of committed and achievement-focused professionals
- Self-starter who can thrive in a small organization with the initiative and drive to make things happen, taking on a range of responsibilities as opportunities arise
- Keen attention to detail with strong organizational and time management skills to balance long-term goals with day-to-day demands
- A sense of proportion and a sense of humor
- An understanding of and commitment to CYD’s mission and the young people they serve
This is an onsite position near Union Square in Manhattan.
CYD offers competitive compensation and opportunities for personal and professional growth as well as the rewards of serving high-need students from across New York City. Compensation will depend on the experience of the candidate but is targeted in the range of $130k to $145k.
CYD is committed to affirmative action.
For more information about Comprehensive Youth Development, please visit their website at www.comprehensiveyouthdevelopment.org