32BJ SEIU has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Anne McCarthy, Chief Operating Officer
Harris Rand Lusk
260 Madison Avenue, 15th Floor
New York, NY 10016
Email cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Please include “32BJ – CHR” in the subject line of your emailed application.
32 BJ SEIU, the largest union representing property service workers in the nation, is seeking an experienced professional to join its team as Chief of Human Resources.
At the forefront of advancing the nation’s labor movement, 32BJ SEIU is committed to building power for low-wage workers and changing the narrative around important social and economic issues facing working families. Their mission is to foster a diverse, effective, politically independent, and democratic organization of workers to change their lives for the better, improve their communities, and build a more just society for present and future generations.
The Union has approximately 460 staff in sixteen offices from Boston to Miami. 32BJ SEIU represents over 175,000 property service workers including janitors, security officers, airport workers, and food service employees in twelve states and Washington, DC and continues to grow. 32BJ is an affiliate of the Service Employees International Union.
32BJ SEIU is seeking a Chief of Human Resources (CHR), a newly defined position, to focus on the development and implementation of human resource strategies in support of the overall mission and strategic direction of the Union. The CHR will look historically at the 32BJ employee experience, with a focus on workplace culture, building an engaged and impactful staff, as well as the next generation of leadership. The CHR also ensures the union has the proper operational controls, administrative processes, reporting procedures and systems in place around our human resource operations to meet the union’s operational and compliance needs.
The position is a member of the Executive staff, and is based in their headquarters office in New York City. The Directors of Human Resources and of Staff Development will report to the CHR.
It is critical that the Chief of Human Resources be capable of integrating smoothly into the senior management, fitting into the organization’s culture. They will provide counsel and support for the organization on all human resources and compliance matters, as well as work on various strategic initiatives and special projects. They will work with the executive, union, and human resources staff in a collaborative, supportive and direct manner. They will have strong interpersonal skills, excellent written and oral communication skills, a hands-on management style, as well as the ability to address and solve problems or issues as they arise. In addition, it is expected that they will be diplomatic, will operate with the highest integrity, and will possess sound judgment.
Specific Responsibilities include:
- Foster a culture that promotes productivity, collaboration, innovation, and growth within the organization.
- Create human resource structures and programs that further develop the Union’s racial justice goals, and a culture of respect, diversity, and inclusion across the Union.
- Focus on goals of recruitment and staff development including with respect to ensuring diversity at all levels of staff, with a focus on the managerial level, and to create an organization where Union leadership is more reflective of the membership.
- Enhance our employee communication programs and systems to help build community.
- Provide strategic leadership and oversee the Union’s Human Resources department and Staff Development program. Develop short-term and long-term strategies to coordinate their goals.
- Ensure the Union has the proper operational controls, administrative processes, reporting procedures and technology in place around their human resource operations.
- Ensure that human resources operations are adequately equipped and staffed. In Year One, assesses the current HR data system, and its relationship to payroll, accounting, and information technology systems; provide leadership on evaluating and implementing systems and staffing to prepare 32BJ SEIU for growth.
- Program areas include but are not limited to recruiting/retention, benefits, hiring/onboarding, staff development, performance management, compliance, training and development, employee engagement and all other human resource strategies and operations.
- With the HR Director and the General Counsel, work on all employment law compliance including implementation and monitoring, and on discrimination/harassment complaints in accordance with procedure in policy manual.
- Identify, develop, and regularly report on key performance metrics to assess HR effectiveness and make data-driven decisions.
The successful candidate for the Chief of Human Resources position will have the following minimum qualifications and attributes:
- At least ten (10) years of relevant professional experience, including 7+ years of experience working for unions and/or nonprofit organizations. Preferably including five plus (5+) years of senior leadership experience and successfully leading a team.
- Master’s degree in HR, Business, or related field preferred (or equivalent experience). SHRM certification a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills, public speaking and writing skills.
- Strong understanding of HR compliance, employee relations and labor laws.
- Proven ability to design and implement innovative HR programs and initiatives that drive employee engagement, performance, and retention.
- Experience in leading HR technology implementations and data analytics initiatives.
- In-depth understanding of racial equity concepts; experience in developing diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse partners, and experience in building coalitions and successfully engaging stakeholders in these coalitions.
- Ability to drive cultural change within a labor organization.
- This is a full-time position that occasionally requires hours outside normal business hours, including some nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Travel among their offices will be required.
- As a member of the Executive staff, participation in Union actions and off-site meetings and conferences will be required, as needed.
- This position is largely computer/office based, with many in person and Zoom meetings.
- Includes participation in marches, rallies and other union events and demonstrations.
Compensation & Benefits:
The salary for this role is $150,000 to $155,000 depending on experience. 32BJ SEIU offers a benefits package that includes a fully employer-paid medical, dental and vision plan, for full-time employees and their qualified dependents. Retirement benefits include a defined benefit pension plan and 401K.
32BJ SEIU provides paid time off including three weeks’ vacation, eleven holidays, twelve sick days and after the first year of service, four personal days. The Union currently offers a remote work policy of one remote day per week at the discretion of the employee’s manager.
32BJ SEIU is an inclusive and diverse organization, committed to advocating for social, racial, and economic justice. They promote diversity and strongly encourage applications from people who believe in their mission. They strongly encourage women and people of color to apply.
Please note, 32BJ SEIU has implemented a vaccine mandate. Bona fide religious and ADA exemptions are permitted with additional safety measures.
For more information about 32BJ SEIU, visit www.seiu32bj.org.